Tiny Onslow ladle - 'TW' stamped twice...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dragonflywink
co-admin

Tiny Onslow ladle - 'TW' stamped twice...

Post by dragonflywink »

I've had this very small Onslow pattern spouted ladle for a while now, it measures 9.1 cm long, the bowl 2.6 cm X 3.2 cm, 1 cm deep, and weighs 8 grams, it's nicely made, and even though it's so tiny, there are faint signs of the terminal being soldered on with a scarf joint. I've poked around for similar without success, also somewhat limited since the majority of my references are in storage (Pickford's 'Silver Flatware' does show a couple of pierced-handle condiment spoons with similar bowls in Fig. 297, no size noted), and am curious if mine was intended for some sort of condiment/sauce, or if it might have been made as a toy.

I've posted in London because the marks bear a striking resemblance to the 1769 'TW' mark on Phil's site, noting "ncluded by Grimwade as an "Unregistered Mark" but identified by him as "?Thos. Wallis". It was probably recorded in the lost 1758-1773 Largeworkers' Register.", and I know Wallis made spoons.

Thanks in advance for any information or thoughts concerning this sweet little piece...

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Mak ... TZ.html#TW

~Cheryl
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Tiny Onslow ladle - 'TW' stamped twice...

Post by dragonflywink »

Quick search at the V&A site doesn't find the pieces below, but does show mid 18th century condiment spoons/ladles of similar scale, along with condiment vases...

From Ian Pickford's 'Silver Flatware, English, Irish and Scottish 1660-1980' (1983):

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Cheryl,

I'm thinking that as the bowl has a lip, and the bowl itself is so small, then nothing thick can flow from it as the thicker the sauce, then the quantity needed for it to flow has to be increased and this is too small for anything but the most fluid of sauces.

More mint sauce than horseradish?

Trev.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Thanks for looking, Trev. My thoughts are the same, and wonder what it might have been used for way back when - it holds a half-teaspoon (2.5 ml) to the rim, a bit of kitchen experimentation revealed nothing thicker than good olive oil poured out effectively...

Since it's still here in the 'London' forum, would tentative attribution to Wallis be appropriate?

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes, to me, Thomas Wallis is the likely candidate.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”