Help define 19th century London

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
vicont5

Post by vicont5 »

hi
Do I understand correctly that this is a silver flask (London 1856-1895)?
the stamps are worn out, but you can determine the contours.
Is it possible to identify the owner by initials or coat of arms? (dragon or crocodile)
Thank you

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Help define 19th century London

Post by Sasropakis »

The full name of the owner is engraved there: Sir Rose Lambart Price, 3rd Baronet (1837–1899)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_bar ... ton_(1815)

The crest on the other side appears to be that of Price baronets of Trengwainton because Fairbairn's book of crests gives this description: "a dragon's head vert, erased gu., holding in the mouth a sinister hand erect couped at the wrist embrued and dropping blood, all ppr." I'm not sure about the initials though because I can't decipher them. I would be strange to have both name and initials engraved to the item but it could be possible that the crest and the initials were made earlier than the name on the other side so it might be an inherited item.

It's difficult to date the item just based on the lion passant and the leopard's head marks but with the other information the item is most likely from the second half of the 19th century.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Rose Lambart Price was born in 1837 and died in 1899. He succeeded to the title of 3rd Baronet Price, of Trengwainton on 18 May 1872. So this dates the flask to between 1872 and 1895. 1896 to 1899 are ruled out because of the shape of the leopard's head punch.

Phil
vicont5

Post by vicont5 »

many thanks! You helped me a lot
victor
vicont5

Post by vicont5 »

I only found the Naval and Military Club on the Internet.
The Naval and Military Club, known informally as The In & Out, is a private members club located in St James's Square, London, originally for gentlemen of the British Armed Forces. It now accepts both female and male members.

The Club was founded in 1862 by six officers, chiefly from the Buffs, because the three then existing military clubs in London – the United Service, the Junior United Service, and the Army and Navy – were all full.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_and_Military_Club

Return to “London Hallmarks”