Pillbox

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Corinna39x

Pillbox

Post by Corinna39x »

Hi all,
I have acquired a silver pillbox (I think that is what it is) from my mother in law who lived in Dorking near London so I hope this is the right place to post this...
I have looked for these markings online but I can't find them. Can anyone help tell me what they are/mean?

Thanks.

Corinna39x

Re: Pillbox

Post by Corinna39x »

Hi all,
I have acquired a silver pillbox (I think that is what it is) from my mother in law who lived in Dorking near London so I hope this is the right place to post this...
I have looked for these markings online but I can't find them. Can anyone help tell me what they are/mean?

Thanks

Silver pill box https://imgur.com/gallery/lsqn79I

Hallmark https://imgur.com/gallery/1r4SswT
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Welcome to the forum Corinna39x,

To embed an image from Imgur,
  1. Hover over the image and click the 3 dots (...)
  2. Click "Get share links"
  3. Click "Copy Link" under the "BBCode (Forums)" heading
  4. Paste the link directly into the response on the forum (the link comes preformatted, so no additional tags are required)
  5. Click the "Preview" button to check that the images are appearing in the preview
The pillbox was imported by "DJ" a sponsor mark seen on several imported items in the 1970's and 1980's.

The other marks are "925" for sterling, the import mark for London, and "f" for 1980.

You may want to check your piece for additional markings that may indicate where and when it was made.

Please make another attempt to embed your images for the benefit of future visitors.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Marks on your pillbox embedded.
From left to right:
DJ is sponsor`s mark (importer initials) whose name remains unidentified so far.
925 silver standard (sterling fineness)
Assay office London (town mark)
Date letter F for 1980.

Meaning, the pillbox was made elsewhere and imported to London in 1980 by retailer (importer) whose initials are DJ.

Regards

Return to “London Hallmarks”