Nutmeg Grinder

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
klgood

Nutmeg Grinder

Post by klgood »

I'm reading Nutmeg Grinder
There are 5 marks inside the grinder and 3 inside the hinged bottom.

Maker CRGS - which my best guess is Charles Rawlings and George Smith, but I can't find a sample hallmark with both their names.
(this is mostly to show the admins I'm trying here)

I'm also not sure about the Date - 1829 perhaps which matches King George IV and the Uncrowned Head.
(still trying)

The rest: King George IV/ Sterling .925 / Date 1829 ? / Uncrowned Leopards head

Finally, when I took the photo of the inside of the lid, I was able to spot what looks like writing scratched into the silver, which is mostly invisible to the naked eye. No clue on any of that.

Thanks again!

trevorg
contributor

Re: Nutmeg Grinder

Post by trevorg »

Hi,
The date letter is for 1829 but the makers are Charles Rawlings and George Storer who registered their mark on 1st January 1829. Some owners scratch collection numbers, the weight of the object, the date they acquired it etc on items of silver they own which I think is what can be seen on this item although the writing is illegible. Nice object though.
Trevor.
klgood

Post by klgood »

Thank you Trevor!
Happy to see I was pretty close on this. Give me another 30 years and I might just achieve the rank of Marginal at hallmark identification.
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

You are welcome!
Learning is a continuous process and following this forum is a great way of improving one’s knowledge. There is an enormous and varied depth of knowledge here, stay positive!
Trevor

Return to “London Hallmarks”