millsman

Help with London hallmark please

Post by millsman »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Help with London hallmark please

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is the mark of William Pimm, registered as a smallworker on 25 Sep 1860. The hallmark is also the 1860 assay year.

Phil
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
(VR for Victoria Regina)
The royal cypher of Queen Victoria under Queen`s crown (1837-1901).

Looks like a belt,but no dimensions and description of the object are given.What is it ?
Regards
millsman

Post by millsman »

Thanks for the response, now I know. The item is a Victorian Officer's shoulder belt pouch that probably was used to hold calling cards. Examples as shown. My example may be for either a serving officer or a yeomanry officer. I believe the scroll work further identifies the organization. Could you please expand on the difference between a smallworkers mark and a hallmark and why they are eligible for there own hallmark but not included in the reference. Thanks again.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
See here under Military Accoutrement Makers - Advertisements & Information under ISAAC HEBBERD where William Pimm is mentioned.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39456&p=139999&hil ... 0.#p139999

Marks for small items was legislated in many countries, not in Britain,though (i.e. hallmarks were the same).Manufacturers were registered according to their production line.It had to do something with taxation, but I stand corrected.
Regards

Return to “London Hallmarks”