Makersmarks IC and H(?)A

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samsiba

Makersmarks IC and H(?)A

Post by samsiba »

Please help identification of makers marks seen on snuff box. Both makersmarks on same object, a joint-venture?.
Opinions very wellcome. Thanks
samsiba

Re: Makersmarks IC and H(?)A

Post by samsiba »

Can anybody help?. HA could it be mark for Paul Hanet, c.1715 ?. Thanks
buckler

Post by buckler »

Are there any other marks ? If there's a Lion Passant and perhaps a town and date letter mark, photos of those would be very helpful
samsiba

Post by samsiba »

Thank you for your interest. Mark IC is inside the lid. HA is inside the base 2x and there is another mark that seems to be part of the erected lion mane (I am not able to photograph because is very near to the hinge). Lid has a typical end 17th C./very early 18th C. stiff leaf band on lower end and masked hinge with same design. Lid and base fit perfectly, looking original, in spite of two different makers marks on same box
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The HA mark resembles a Switzerland Silversmith stylistically ::: I really get a Swiss feeling rather than an English feeling but if you ever find a way to photograph and enhance that one hallmark(?) that is near the hinge, it might change everything. :::::::

" Pierre-Henri Dautun (1729-1803). Dautun was a second generation silversmith of French descent ..."

(If that letter was a "D" instead of an "A" it would be a really close match, so in terms of hallmark style, I am thinking Switzerland)
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Hello,
A similar HA mark (crown above mullet below) is listed in Grimwade’s unregistered marks section (3598) and was recorded on a snuff box assayed in 1717. I can find no record of the IC mark.
A similar snuff box with the same HA mark but an assay date of 1716/17 recently appeared at auction where it was (in my opinion incorrectly) identified as being by “Harache” and can now be found for sale on the dealers web site.
Trevor.

Return to “London Hallmarks”