British Sterling miniature tall case clock

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rdeacons

British Sterling miniature tall case clock

Post by Rdeacons »

I thought I was beginning to understand the British hallmarks system and g=have been able to correctly identify a number of pieces over the past several years. This one however has me stymied. The piece in question is a repousee decorated miniature (9" high) tall case clock with a fusee movement. The marks are as shown in photos. Any help/leads are appreciated as I find myself going around in circles with my usual identification resources

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: British Sterling miniature tall case clock

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is not too much mystery here but you seem to have started with an incorrect premise if (as you have originally posted it under "Sheffield Hallmarks") you think it is a Sheffield mark. It is London, but for some reason is missing the uncrowned leopard's head town mark. However the form of the date letter punch is very distinctive and, in combination with the lion passant, can only be London. M is, of course, for the assay year 1887/88.

The maker is a slight problem as there are 2 possibilities both with very similar marks; it is either Jane Brownett, in business as Harris & Brownett or John Batson of John Batson & Sons. Both were in business in 1887.

Phil
Rdeacons

Re: British Sterling miniature tall case clock

Post by Rdeacons »

Phil - Thank you so much - It was the missing leopard that really confused me. I had looked at Jane Brownett and John Batson but felt this couldn't be either as the leopard wasn't present. I posted in Sheffield because I had no idea WHICH city it might be (without a city mark). Thank you for sharing your experience and familiarity with the rest of the marks to ascertain the city. You have been a tremendous help and I truly appreciate it. -- Rich

Return to “London Hallmarks”