1754 London (?)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Calumet

1754 London (?)

Post by Calumet »

[edited by moderator to show images - you did not need to add the additional IMG tags as everything was already there in the Postimage link which you copied]
Last edited by silvermakersmarks on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of image posting error
Calumet

Re: 1754 London (?)

Post by Calumet »

Sorry All - hit send button before finishing post - I believe this dish has a London assay mark and 1754 date letter - unfortunately a bit worn. If these aspects are correct, I would be curious to know if anyone has a thought on the maker - first letter appears to perhaps be a stylized E?

Many thanks and sorry not all in one post.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, this is definitely a London 1754 hallmark. Unfortunately I cannot make anything of the maker's mark either; my best guesses are that it's either FM or EM but I have not found anything which matches these initials with the same lettering style.

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the object - if it's a solid-bottomed dish, for example, and what size it is.

Phil
Calumet

Post by Calumet »

Phil,

Thanks for the welcome and help. Weight is about 56.5 grams and length across is about 3 and 1/8 inches. There are also engraved initials M.E.W.W. on the bottom. The bottom appears to be solid.

Many thanks.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I would be interested in the thoughts of others but my suspicion is that the base and handles are not original and that it has been adapted from something else, the top of a cup or wine funnel perhaps.

Phil

Return to “London Hallmarks”