Could these picture backs be Newcastle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Could these picture backs be Newcastle

Post by rat-tail »

Hi All

a set of four picture back teaspoons stamped only with HB and a lion passant. I started with London and found only Henry Bates 1738 and Henry Brind 1743 - none of which had a pellet, and both perhaps a shade early. Henry Bayley 1750 has a crown above. I even wondered if it was not an early mark of Hester Bateman (kidding). The only mark that looked a reasonable match is that of Hugh Beckinridge of Newcastle. I do not know whether picture backs were even made in Newcastle. The picture looks like a very worn vase of flowers. The lions passant unfortunately are very squashed. None of the four shows the bottom of the shield. I have photographed the best two which looks like the lions passant may have been in a rectangular shield.
Many thanks Frank

PS apologies, the pics were taken at night. I can try in natural light if it might help.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Could these picture backs be Newcastle

Post by silvermakersmarks »

These are almost certainly London, although with only the maker's mark and the lion passant it is impossible to be 100% certain. I note that the spoons are Hanoverian pattern which implies a likely date earlier than, say, 1780. Grimwade illustrates one HB with pellet between and within the expected date range - Henry Bickerton, whose mark as a smallworker was entered 26 August 1762.

Phil
rat-tail
contributor

Re: Could these picture backs be Newcastle

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Phil
Many thanks - much appreciated.

Return to “London Hallmarks”