Help with identifying the makers mark on this Queen Ann Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gamesetal

Help with identifying the makers mark on this Queen Ann Box

Post by gamesetal »

If you can help me identify the maker of this silver counter box bearing the portrait of Queen Ann I would be very obliged

Thanks

John

Image[/img]
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I've seen quite a few of these boxes with Queen Anne, George I and George II on the front; I think they're called patch boxes: counter boxes are a bit taller. However, these boxes have always been made by a Thomas Keddar so I can't help you I'm afraid.
Here is a site with four Queen boxes:
http://www.bexfield.co.uk/sdxanne.htm

Miles
gamesetal

Post by gamesetal »

Thanks very much for that information and for the web link.

From the little I know I appreciate there is some confusion between patch boxes and counter boxes - I do have the counters for this box so I have to believe this is in fact a counter box though I can't prove that they all belong together.

The reference to Thomas Keddar is appreciated and I will research that angle.

Regards

John
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

I have seen a silver box of that period marked IA which was attributed to John Allen whose son(s) went on to be spoon makers later in that century. Sorry can't be more definitive or helpful. More research needed. Best wishes, Mike.
gamesetal

Post by gamesetal »

Mike - thanks for the tip - will try to persue that - Regards - John
nigel le sueur
contributor

Post by nigel le sueur »

l am assuming the date to be early 18th Cent ? a John Albright -a similar mark entered 6/7/1720 his second mark ( 1st mark A L ) John Allen 1st mark had a pellet. John Ashpinshaw mark entered 26/5/1763 all the others l have are later

Nigel
gamesetal

Post by gamesetal »

How very interesting. It was sold to me as a John Albright box c 1720 yet Queen Anne died 1714 - so I didn't mention it in my question to see what transpired.

I have no knowledge about silver - so when you say "entered" could you tell me what that means Nigel ?

Many Thanks

John
nigel le sueur
contributor

John Allbright

Post by nigel le sueur »

John

When l say "entered" what it means is the date the Silver Smith entered his mark at Goldsmiths hall, his first mark entered on the 10th April 1718 was "A L " his second "l A" was entered 6/7/1720 (which is similar to yours)
What date marks do you have?

Nigel
gamesetal

Post by gamesetal »

Nigel

Thanks for that - now I am up to speed. No date marks at all I'm afraid.

Regards

John
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Help with identifying the makers mark on this Queen Ann Box

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I have an image to add to this old post. It was snapped it at a recent auction where I was a not very close under bidder.

I had in the back of my mind that it may not be "right" with the its lack of "silver control marking" but I was interested up to a price. After leaving my absentee bid I got some advice and had a check on line and found this post in our Forum plus some other images of very similar "QA" boxes. This auction box looked as if it had a bit of age as did some of the others on line. Maybe a Lady's beauty trinket would not be expected to be too badly knocked about even if it was 300 years old? I am intrigued about the "Thomas Keddar" reference. Do we have more information? Do we have any more opinions?

Fishless
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi John
It seems these boxes were made by a few different makers, You may find this info interesting,images from The lion Collection of British silver boxes 1640-1840,John Culme.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi John
I have found this box by John Albright, that may be similar to your box,(I have not seen any images of your box or mark)
this may be of some help.

Regards Guido.

Return to “London Hallmarks”