‘V•E’ on a salt.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

‘V-E’ on a salt.

Post by paulh »

This is a nice simple salt, hallmarked London 1779, but the maker is completely eluding me. It seems to be something like ‘V-E’, but there is nothing in Grimwade or Heal or anything else I can find. Any ideas anyone?

Paul.

MCB

Re: ‘V-E’ on a salt.

Post by MCB »

Hello Paul

A worn "W" perhaps? Grimwade (3099) has William J Edwards with such a mark entered in 1778. His biography is a little hazy however and it isn't clear whether he would be a salt cellar maker.
Best of luck with it.

Regards,
Mike
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Mike, Thanks for the suggestion.  That was a possibility I looked at, but what I couldn't get to show in the photo was that it is an oval shield and the curvature of the oval would not have sufficient space for the rest of a 'W'. I have looked at it from every angle and every way up but it still looks more like a 'V' than anything else. Paul.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Paul
The position of the mark appeared to be on the high point of the dome and more prone to wear than the surrounding marks.
An enlargement of it suggested to me it was originally rectangular and we see so many worn by polishing which have become oval. Again this could be another trick of the light.
Just a thought but if the original strike was unequal this might have contributed to the wear on the mark appearing to be more significant on the left side. Then again you're closer to it to see whether there is enough room for part of a "W" to have become lost.
Regards,
Mike

Return to “London Hallmarks”