Tastevin Markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Flyer

Tastevin Markings

Post by Flyer »

I'm struggling to identify what the markings mean on this tastevin. Unfortunately they are extremely small and very difficult to photograph. I can't make the last one out at all. I think it may be an import. On the inner surface it looks like two different materials, almost as if plating has worn through, but the 925 stamps in the hallmark and another 925 on the bottom of the bowl suggest its solid silver.
x
x
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Those are hallmarks following the Vienna convention, so relative recent.
If you post a clearer photo, we might extract more info.

Hope that helped.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Thanks for the answer. The markings are on the handle which is less than 1/8 inch and I am finding it very difficult to photograph. The first one looks like raised letters might be CME or GME or even ICME. The next is a 925 with a pair of scales over the top, then a recognisable oval with 925 in it. Can't read the last one at all. I'll see if I can get a bigger magnifying glass.

Regards
olaf

Re:

Post by olaf »

Flyer wrote:Thanks for the answer. The markings are on the handle which is less than 1/8 inch and I am finding it very difficult to photograph. The first one looks like raised letters might be CME or GME or even ICME. The next is a 925 with a pair of scales over the top, then a recognisable oval with 925 in it. Can't read the last one at all. I'll see if I can get a bigger magnifying glass.

Regards
Hi.... I'm experiencing much the same difficulty myself in that I have several dated looking peices similarly marked 925 with a letter for the year that are carrying the impressed mark CME - initials that coincide with the name of a retail company named CME Jewellery, leicester formed in the 1970's I believe..... although I'm not entireley convinced this is altogether the answer to this conundrum, so If you find out more do let me know as it's driving me up the wall too. Kind regards. Olaf
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Tastevin Markings

Post by dognose »

Hi Olaf,

Welcome to the Forum.

Some images of the marks on your pieces, may help solve the mystery.

Trev.
olaf

Post by olaf »

Hi Trev....Thankyou for the kind welcome and the ongoing advice. My sight isn't my greatest asset these days so seeing marks is that much more difficult ... but from what I can discern the additional marks all include 925 - followed by a pyramid and letter u that I presume denotes the year.

If I'm able to acquire a higher pixel picture I'll post it ..... and I ought to mention that the only maker I found eye who used the impression of a pyramid to denote the year was Tiffany ....or was it lallique .... can't be certain now? However, being and complete amateur I'm probably reading too much into this and would take is a kindness if you would put me on the right track. Many thanks. Olaf
olaf

Post by olaf »

olaf wrote:Hi Trev....Thankyou for the kind welcome and the ongoing advice. My sight isn't my greatest asset these days so seeing marks is that much more difficult ... but from what I can discern the additional marks all include 925 - followed by a pyramid and letter u that I presume denotes the year.

If I'm able to acquire a higher pixel picture I'll post it ..... and I ought to mention that the only maker I found eye who used the impression of a pyramid to denote the year was Tiffany ....or was it lallique .... can't be certain now? However, being and complete amateur I'm probably reading too much into this and would take is a kindness if you would put me on the right track. Many thanks. Olaf
Apologies for the romantic description Trev.... not a pyramid ... a traingle is a more accurate description. Olaf.
olaf

Post by olaf »

Hi Trev .... EUREKA! Conundrum solved! With a little perseverance and the comprehensive information I've found on this site site I have at long last been able to ascertain that the triangle impressed mark I mentioned in my earlier post resulted to be the Birmingham import mark applied to foreign silver ..... which means so I can relax ... so thanks to you and all concerned.

Now I'll be able to focus all my attention on other peices .... lol ..... Send full appreciation to this wonderful site and its management. Thankyou.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Olaf,

Glad you found the site useful. We look forward to your questions and viewing your images. Please start a fresh topic with each one.

Regards Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”