Help, please, with 2 silver spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hapaul

Help, please, with 2 silver spoons

Post by hapaul »

I haven't been successful identifying these hallmarks on 2 spoons that my grandmother had. Are they sterling for sure?[C:\Users\Heather\Desktop\20210306_150303_resized.jpg][C:\Users\Heather\Desktop\20210306_150256_resized.jpg]
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Help, please, with 2 silver spoons

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum

In order for us to see your pictures you will need to upload them to a picture hosting site and then post links to the uploaded pictures.

https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Phil
hapaul

Post by hapaul »

Thank you for the instructions for posting the pics.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Your spoons are very definitely sterling. The lion passant is a guarantee that the silver has been assayed independently and meets the sterling standard (.925). The maker's mark is that of Thomas and George Hayter (a father and son partnership) and the date letter "f" shows that it was assayed during the assay year 1821/22. In fact this version of the London leopard's head (previously crowned) dates from January 1822 so we can tie down the assay date to between January 1822 and the end of May in that year when the date letter changed to "g".

Phil
hapaul

Post by hapaul »

Thank you very much for the detailed information - I appreciate your help!

Return to “London Hallmarks”