Need help with Thorvald Marthinsen Mark

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NorskyGal

Need help with Thorvald Marthinsen Mark

Post by NorskyGal »

I have this shot glass (?) or shooter that measures 1.5" H x 1.25" W. (If anyone knows what this really is, I'd like to know, too!)

It's marked 830S with Thorvald Marthinsen's mark of a goblet within an oval. But there is the addtional mark of what looks to be a "P" overlapped with an "L". Can anyone identify what this additional mark is?

(I apologize for the poor photo in which the grain of my wooden table is being reflected in the shooter.)

Truls J Tonsberg

Re: Need help with Thorvald Marthinsen Mark

Post by Truls J Tonsberg »

This is a cup/Prize that is used for prizes in sports etc. They are not used for anything other than standing in a prize cabinet/On the prize shelf. The letter below is a designation of the size of the cup. A is Largest. In Norway we use 830s and the firm's logo/Maker's mark. And often N in an letter for Norwegian design. I have worked at TH Marthinsen for 16 years. When i was young :)

Best regards.
Truls
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Truls,

Welcome to the Forum.

We hope to hear a lot more from you in future posts.

Trev.
tux

Post by tux »

So I got my hands on something very simular.
maybe Truls J Tonsberg can help me out here as well.
Its some sort of serving plate with 1861-1961 on it and a Norwegian flag with (crown) Post on it and the letter W.
The W could be Wilhelmsen founded 1861 making it a one year anniversary plate.

But what is the connection to the Royal Post?

Truls J Tonsberg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:41 pm This is a cup/Prize that is used for prizes in sports etc. They are not used for anything other than standing in a prize cabinet/On the prize shelf. The letter below is a designation of the size of the cup. A is Largest. In Norway we use 830s and the firm's logo/Maker's mark. And often N in an letter for Norwegian design. I have worked at TH Marthinsen for 16 years. When i was young :)

Best regards.
Truls

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”