Small Norwegian drinking cup - help please

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Small Norwegian drinking cup - help please

Post by joho »

Hi again! This is a heavy quality small cup which I think is Norwegian. Gilding around the rim. Makers mark only to the base. HD. The only other clue is in the engraved inscription which refers to the town of Romsdal and date 1818. Any more information much appreciated!!
Joho

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Small Norwegian drinking cup - help please

Post by Qrt.S »

A shot in the dark. HD could be Hans Sverinsen Dahl in Nidaros/Trondhjem/Trondheim 1809-1853, but the lack of other marks make it difficult to be sure. Mind my asking, but why do you think it is Norwegian? But OK could be, Romsdal is a district not a town in southern Norway.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thanks for your help again Qrt.S. My reason for thinking the cup may be Norwegian is that the inscription engraved around the rim is in Norwegian (or maybe Danish) language and refers to, as you say, the district of Romsdal. The inscription is dated 1818 don't think it is possible for Hans Sverinsen Dahl
to be the maker. I will post some photos of the inscription later this evening.

Thanks again.
Joho
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Here are some photos of the inscription

Apologies! I presumed the dates 1809 to 1853 for Hans Sverinsen Dahl were his life dates. Of course if they were his working dates then he could be the maker.
Joho

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”