Tostrup spoon help

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fancy1

Tostrup spoon help

Post by fancy1 »

I've had this for more than 40 years, a gift from my immigrant grandparents. Cant find the pattern or even date it. Anyone have a clue?
Thank you

Traintime
contributor

Re: Tostrup spoon help

Post by Traintime »

The basics: Jacob Tostrup Oslo Norway (Jug mark left), 830S-->.830 Silver alloy after circa 1892, standard began to be replaced in Norway after circa 1920 (See info. at top Intro.): https://www.925-1000.com/Fnorway_marks4.html#1

Pattern:???
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

What is the word in Norwegian above the flower? ::: Could it be a town name or the name of a flower? ::::
fancy1

Post by fancy1 »

Thank you for the replies.
The lettering on the reverse appears to be SMORBUKK. Search engines have been pretty vague on that.
I've delved into the history of Tostrup and the many styles and manners of manufacture over their history. The photos I've seen online are beautiful, and spending hours/days scrolling through them has been both enjoyable and frustrating. I'm beginning to think that this piece was either a very special one-off or an unpopular and discarded pattern.
Whether it was a piece sewn into the hem of a skirt, or from a set divided amongst heirs, it will remain with family. And I'll continue my searches for more info.
Thank you again for the comments and patience with my newby-ness!
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Smørbukk is just the name of the flower (Hylotelephium maximum) There seems to be a caramel named Smørbukk too although I don't think it has anything to do with the spoon. And there's also a fairy tale called Smørbukk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttercup_(fairy_tale)

It could be the name of the pattern or maybe there was a set of spoons depicting different flowers (and naming them) and this is just one of them.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Please note that, the spoon's fineness in marked in promille. Jacob Ulrich Holfeldt Tostrup in Oslo was born 1.7.1806 in Hjelmeland/NO and died 1890 in Christiania (Oslo). Expressing the fineness in promille in Norway started in 1892. However, the (his) company was closed down 7.9.1992. The punch is the company's punch but not Jacob's. Moreover, there is another Tostrup i.e. Oluf in Oslo 1880-1882. Anyway, it is not his punch either. Morever 2, there is a town called Tostrup, but it is in northern Denmark, but it has nothing to do with this.

I also believe the this spoon is from a Norwegian series of flower spoons.
fancy1

Post by fancy1 »

So sorry for my delay, life and covid sort of took over for a bit.

Thank you to all for the replies. While I was 'down' I was able to search more. The thought of this being from a set of flowered spoons is looking likely. I will be meeting elder family for the first time this summer. Perhaps someone may have insights (or even another spoon?). Thank you all again.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”