Traintime
contributor

GRONLUND II: Additional mark

Post by Traintime »

Sample marks on modernist design...
Main mark-GRONLUND
Mark 2- Dansk Arbedge shield
Mark 3- Assayer Johannes Siggaard
Mark 4- Three Tower for 1932 (.826 fineness)
Mark 5- Unknown "G/Object/C"....actual maker?

Note: This design has been produced in Sterling with "H NILS" Denmark name mark. "GRONLUND" (in bold) has been seen on a piece from 1912 with assay by Christian F. Heise, so it has some legs as an established mark. But is it the maker, a shop name, or just a retailer mark? And who is H NILS...could it relate to Nils Hansen since a Hans Hansen signature mark on Sterling has been spotted with it?
Traintime
contributor

Re: GRONLUND II: Additional mark

Post by Traintime »

GRONLUND I-photos are gone, but I was able to associate GRONLUND bold mark with Odense where L. Gronlund (L.G. mark) is noted to have been working: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45671&p=133687&hil ... nd#p133687
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I'm finding listings (including from Aarhus) declaring Laurits Gronlund Odense maker in the period 1829-1896, presumably his lifespan. With that, a genealogical source document in Danish is found here: https://slaegtsbibliotek.dk/910910.pdf

The document is Indholdsfortegnelse Personalhistorisk Tidsskrift 1880-1990 by Poul Steen (1992), whatever that may be. The reference on page 52 under entry 1326 gives this: Laurits Andreas Gronlund - Sv. Cedergreen Bech: Laurence Gronlund alias Laurits Andreas Gronlund, 1980 s.118-119. [Not sure, but I believe the 1980 date relates to a source issue date rather than to this personage....but I don't read Danish, so I may be way off.]
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Looks like Laurence is an immigrant to America in another field, so thus not our guy: https://www.genealogi.dk/images/pht/1980_1/1980_1.pdf
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The top mark is 'GL' for maker Grann & Laglye, the pattern is 'Kardinal', 'L. Grønlund' would be retailer...

~Cheryl
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have a few pieces of H NILS as well, I couldn't figure out if it was a large retail shop or a person. ::::
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

'H. Nils' was a New York City based retailer - mid 20th century...

~Cheryl
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

"Nils Hertz, president of H. Nils Danish Silver, Inc., a retail store at 513 Madison Avenue, died yesterday of cancer at his home.
200 East 57th Street. He was 52 years old.

Mr. Hertz, who used the name H. Nils in business, was born in Denmark and came to the United States in 1936.
He started his business with a small store in the old Savoy Plaza, now the Savoy Hilton, in 1947,
and moved to Madison Avenue eight years later."

I always wondered about the relationship between Peter Hertz and H. Nils. :::: Maybe Nils Hertz would have to use the hallmark "H. NILS" because many other spoons are marked "P. HERTZ" and with 2 HERTZ HALLMARKS on the spoon it would have caused too much confusion? :::
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

That's 1964, so Nils Hertz born circa 1912. Link to H NILS trademark (1949, used since 1947): https://books.google.com/books?id=rH0bA ... rk&f=false

THANK YOU Cheryl!! Must have blown right past the maker's sample mark in the charts, and totally missed your prior info on H Nils in another thread.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”