Swedish Lap Pipe - early 1800's CGS Maker

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
runscott

Swedish Lap Pipe - early 1800's CGS Maker

Post by runscott »

Hello, I've referenced this forum quite a bit over the years and almost always found an answer to my question. This time; however, I'm stuck.

I have a meerschaum Swedish lap pipe that has a maker's mark (CGS), an early representation of Saint Eric for the Stockholm mark, 3 crowns for Sweden, and the remains of a date that appears to be intaglio stamped. I believe I see the top of the numeral '4' to the right, but the letter to the left is more difficult - it looks like the top of a rounded letter, so maybe 'C' or 'O' or 'Q'?

I'm specifically looking for the following information:
  • date range for this particular image of St. Eric
    identifying the maker 'CGS'
    determining the date
Thanks.

runscott

Re: Swedish Lap Pipe - early 1800's CGS Maker

Post by runscott »

I found reference in this forum to 'Carl Gottlieb Sager' of Schleswig and assumed 'CGS' could not be him, but Sweden had claims on Schleswig at various times, so now I'm wondering if this could have been stamped during such a period.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

I found a silversmith with initials CGS: Carl Gustaf Snak who worked in Stockholm in mid 1800's (you can find some items sold in auctions by googling the name). If there's number 4 in the date mark the item is dated 1831-54 and the style suggests that period too. Meerschaum is called sjöskum in Swedish so if you search "sjöskumspipa" you can find some items for reference. The town mark is clearly Stockholm so nothing to do with Schleswig. Sweden lost its last German territories (Stralsund and its surroundings) in 1815 and as far as I know they didn't follow the Swedish hallmark system.
runscott

Post by runscott »

Sasropakis wrote:I found a silversmith with initials CGS: Carl Gustaf Snak who worked in Stockholm in mid 1800's (you can find some items sold in auctions by googling the name). If there's number 4 in the date mark the item is dated 1831-54 and the style suggests that period too. Meerschaum is called sjöskum in Swedish so if you search "sjöskumspipa" you can find some items for reference. The town mark is clearly Stockholm so nothing to do with Schleswig. Sweden lost its last German territories (Stralsund and its surroundings) in 1815 and as far as I know they didn't follow the Swedish hallmark system.
Thanks so much - I think you may have solved the mystery.

I have a solid knowledge of Birmingham and London marks, so hopefully I can pay it forward at some point.

Still interested in the various Stockholm marks.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”