Early Swedish teaspoon. No date marks.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
varadino

Early Swedish teaspoon. No date marks.

Post by varadino »

Hey all,

I have this very fine silver teaspoon and I am curious about the date of its manufacture. Any info about the maker is welcome as well. Though so far I have figured out the city marks being that of Växjö, suggesting an 18th century manufacture, the maker "ND" did not lead me to further insights regarding the item's origin. What is really interesting though is that besides the three-crown trefoil shape (standard since 1754), there are no year marks struck on the spoon anywhere (some minor scratches might have wanted to make up a K or a Y? - see photos) so basically my initial assumption was that the spoon dates back to a short period just before 1759 where the alphanumerical standard of date marks was not yet commonplace but the trefoil was already the standard by then. How common was it for makers/assayers to ignore the date marks after 1759? How old is the spoon? Have you seen such things before? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you very much!
Cheers, NV.

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Early Swedish teaspoon. No date marks.

Post by Sasropakis »

It could be by Nils Johan Dyker (or Düker) and the town is Växjö. The maker's mark shown here is similar to your spoon: https://digitaltmuseum.se/021028382109/sked
When searching his name one can find other items but there he has used another mark N.Dyker so I'm not 100% sure about the attribution based just on online search. His working years are given 1781-1795 which fits the style of the spoon. It was a popular rococo model in Sweden and Finland from mid 1700's until early 1800's. It's not uncommon that date marks were left out especially in smaller items like teaspoons so I wouldn't date it 1754-59 just because of that.
varadino

Re: Early Swedish teaspoon. No date marks.

Post by varadino »

Thank you. At least now I know that it was a broader period so far. :¬)

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”