Circa 1760s (?) Rococo Sauce Spoon, Maker's Mark "JF"

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
varadino

Circa 1760s (?) Rococo Sauce Spoon, Maker's Mark "JF"

Post by varadino »

Hey all!

I have bought a really interesting silver spoon at a Copenhagen antiques dealer and I am looking for the identification of its maker and the date of its manufacture. The item bears a series of pricked initials with a single maker's mark, an engraving with a very basic Rococo design on the bottom, and the item further has a very interesting overall shape with a beak on the side reminiscent of those spoons that are used to serve sauces for meals.
From the style of engraving I assume it was made during the Rococo period (mid- to late 18th century) though the maker's mark is entirely unknown and I didn't find anything similar. From what I can see, it says "JF". Can please somebody help me identify this spoon? Thank you.
Relevant pictures are attached:

Aguest
contributor

Re: Circa 1760s (?) Rococo Sauce Spoon, Maker's Mark "JF"

Post by Aguest »

Provincial Denmark often has only the maker's mark as a hallmark. ::: I'm assuming this spoon is Provincial Denmark, and if that is the case, I hope a candidate will be provided :::
varadino

Post by varadino »

When I bought it I was also quite convinced that it's Danish. No candidates so far. Therefore apparently it remains a mystery. :)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I have a candidate for you: Jørgen Friis in Randers/DK active 1773-1790. His mark is very similar to your mark. The problem, however, is that there are no town mark on your ladle, but as Aguest stated 10.3. at 6:31pm sometimes the town mark is not punched.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Incomplete early Danish marks; expertise needed.
As far as I can see here, maker`s mark only is acceptable.
Question 1: Does it apply only to flatware ? What about big items (e.g. teapots) ?
Question 2: What about incomplete marks: Maker`s mark, assayer and Zodiac sign, but no town mark.
(I mean, is it suspicious to have Stadsguardein mark, but no town mark ?)

Thanks
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Also I had a Denmark (city of Viborg) spoon with only a maker's mark. ::: Searching Denmark might find an answer as well :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Hang on, Denmark is Danish, I was thinking Holland (Dutch) and got confused. ::::
varadino

Post by varadino »

Thank you for the valuable pieces of information, the mark indeed corresponds the lettering used by Jørgen Friis, and the style corresponds the era he has lived. Thank you very much.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”