Help identify cherub spoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rose88

Help identify cherub spoon

Post by rose88 »

It comes in a box named "Jacob Möllers Enke" (after Jacob Andreas Möller, Trondheim, Norway), and has initials (M A B ?) engraved plus a year (1863 or 1763?).

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling the spoon is not made by Möller, as the box is not a perfect match for the item.

I have not found any references to the triangle/X marking/stamp. They seem identical - are they the makers mark?

Aguest
contributor

Re: Help identify cherub spoon

Post by Aguest »

I think this falls into the category of "Knopf Top Spoons" and sometimes there is an Acorn design on the top but there were different variations and in Norway these were popular and it is possible that the two marks that are on your spoon are a specific Norwegian Town Mark, which Town Mark I am not sure, and also I am not sure if this is from the 1600s or 1700s but it does seem to be very old. ::: I don't believe it is a replica, but there are other people with more experience in this area, hopefully they will chime in and tell you what they think. :::
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

About the box:
Jacob Andreas Møller was a goldsmith in Trondheim, Norway. He was born 12.2.1822, became master 7.6.1848 and died 25.4.1870. His widow continued the business to 1896. Btw. The text "Jacob Møllers enke" means "JM's widow". It is explained with the fact that the widow took over the workshop after her husband's death 1870. The box cannot be older than that year.

About the spoon:
I don't see any connection to the box. The only connection could be that the spoon was bought in Møller's workshop and put in a suitable box....maybe. Unfortunately the "cross mark" is not found in my sources. The engraved MAB is most likely owner's initials and not a maker's mark. Those are not engraved but punched. Cherub spoons and similar ones were made in 16th, 17th cent. and early 18th cent. I'm not either sure is your spoon that old. One need to see it "in flesh" so to say. There are copies on the market. Trondheim's town mark is a flower since 1488.
Sorry, that's all...
rose88

Post by rose88 »

Thank you both! That is very interesting information!

We know the spoon was passed on from a family member born around 1880, and was supposedly "very old". I would be surprised if it was a replica.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I did not reply because for me the spoon cries new manufacture. So i did not look for hallmarks but skipped.
The laf has an moderne design (engraving)
but that my feeling not based upon anything.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”