Unusual 1805 Empire sifter spoon has double hallmarks

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
varadino

Unusual 1805 Empire sifter spoon has double hallmarks

Post by varadino »

Hey all, :)

Having gained enough confidence from my previous purchases and the identification of the spoons I have, thanks to the community, today I looked around in my favorite antiques mall again, as a result of which I have purchased this beautiful Empire style vermeil sifter spoon. It mentions the year 1805 under the pricked initials on its arm. I have another one similar to this, where the date of creation goes back much earlier than the date mentioned on the arm. Hence I would like to ask for the opinion of an expert about the exact origin of the spoon based on the hallmarks I have photographed. Also I have noticed a very tiny surface of soldering that appears in a faint pink color under good light conditions. Anybody some ideas on that one too? :) The images are attached. Thank you in advance. :-9

Aguest
contributor

Re: Unusual 1805 Empire sifter spoon has double hallmarks

Post by Aguest »

If there is a pin-pricked date of 1805, and if there are two of the same hallmarks double-stamped, I am thinking Denmark, somewhere Provincial, but the third hallmark with the dots in the oval surrounding an unknown letter, could that be the assay mark of Danish Assay Master Fabritus? ::: There were 2 Fabritus assay masters in Denmark, the hallmark is heavily worn, but it could be a match, it's hard to tell for certain. ::: These "double-stamp" and even "triple-stamp" hallmarks are seen on Denmark silver from the first half of the 19th century, and it has something to do with "proving" the quality of the work, at least from what I have read in the past, this is how I interpret them. :::
varadino

Post by varadino »

Thanks, I actually bought the item in Denmark so your argument makes sense.
But still I am rather curious, whether there are really no assay mark databases from the era that may give exact information regarding the hallmarks? Like I am quite certain that the double hallmark shows a letter i.e. that the small "v" could point to an exact year similarly to British silver.
Meanwhile I figured out that the surface I thought to be soldered was only a bit of dirt on the spoon from long use haha.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I've had a few Provincial Denmark pieces and I've researched the subject in the past, so whatever those 2 "V" hallmarks are (maybe VI or IV or something?) is what I believe to be the Makers Mark, I've seen them stamped twice and even three times sometimes. ::: Whatever is in the oval surrounded by the Dots I would think to be either the Assay Master hallmark or possibly a Town hallmark, maybe some sort of organization that stamped their seal of approval? It is similar to those Fabritus hallmarks but it's so worn that I really can't be sure. ::: The design on the handle reminds me more of English bright-cut designs that became popular 1780-1790, that actually does seem to be inspired by English silver design, the way there are little triangular "chips" around the edge of the handle, that does seem to me to be more English in its design. :::
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

i carnt figure out anything - but Norway springs to my mind.
If its IV or VI that might be month

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”