Help Identifying Marks on Danish Silver Tea Caddy

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
artic4673

Help Identifying Marks on Danish Silver Tea Caddy

Post by artic4673 »

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the assayer and maker of these silver caddies. Each of the three has the same set of marks.
I appreciate any feedback!

Traintime
contributor

Re: Help Identifying Marks on Danish Silver Tea Caddy

Post by Traintime »

Until the experts get here->>Should be Christopher Fabritius 1777: https://www.925-1000.com/dm_Assay.html

Look at the style of the "F"...photos are lost, but one thread notes he had two different marks so this may be the other. The zodiac letter will give the month. There is a "CH" maker in this period with a different mark (noted in a thread) but he moved c.1767 to Randers, so perhaps a new mark. [He is Christian Pedersen Hovring but I am not jumping to any conclusions without further evidence.] Let's wait for more.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, let's wait for the experts, meanwhile in my opinion the guardein mark is actually Christoper Fabritius's son Fredrik Fabritius, He co-operated with his father already from 1767. The maker's mark CH above 77 is Christian N. Hosøe in Copenhagen, born 1739 and dead 1812, master 1773-1808(12?). He was also an appointed court supplier and also alderman in the gild 1792-1795. The zodiac mark is Virgo 21.8.-23.9. The year of manufacturing is 1777
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Excellent. There is a current listing displaying a full set of Fabritius/Hosoe markings for 1801 on a group of spoons. [They do not describe the letters mark, so search engines will only locate it with the Hosoe name in full. Copying the images has been techno-blocked.] The maker mark is of this form with the difference being the "CH" has a script or fancy-block at that point in time. It also has this same particular version of the "F" within the F. Fabritius guardein mark.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

the F is Frederik Fabritius 1787 - 1823
CH over 77 is Christian Hosøe born i Jylland approx 1739 citienship 24/11-1773 his workshop in Vimmelskaftet (street)
the silver was made 1777
he dies 1812
a very skilled silver smith at that time - one of the best.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Can we clear up one thing here...All of the "F.F. encircled with dots" marks that are showing up seem to have a letter style of the "F" which differs from the one shown here in the Danish Assay section. Here is an information trail on father and son over two linked threads noting death of F. and his father's continuation after that point still using son's encircled dots mark: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54520&p=173674&hil ... cf#p173674

So what is the other mark (encircled dots, with the different style F) shown on this site, when is it known to be in use, and when does it seem to go out of use? And is it really his guardein mark or was it for another use?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry my friends.
I take blame because I have misunderstood something . This sentence below is written by me in the link Trantime refers to:
"His son Fredrik Fabritius' working period was 1787- 1823. But he died and his farther took over to 1823". The misunderstanding is that Fredric did not die as I claimed. What he did was that he co-operated with his father from 1767 as I wrote in this thread. In addition both father and son have together used 10-12 different punches. All are not shown in the Danish sector. The assayer is Fredric as Hose already verified. He's the expert!.

Ups!
While writing this input, Trantime made an input. The mark in that input belongs to Christopher Fabritius. Note that in some sources it is incorrectly attributed to Fredrik
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Restoring the lost image of the undated alternate C.F. mark (for comparisons of the internal letter style used by father and in the F.F. encircled pebbles alternate-as on the item here):

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Afterword-Thank you both for having cleared that up.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”