Spoon from Norway

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PW333abc

Spoon from Norway

Post by PW333abc »

Hey!

I would be very grateful for help. I have a spoon that I think is made in Norway. I wonder who the silversmith is? It says O.S.

Best regards

Per

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Spoon from Norway

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting spoon. It doesn't actually look Norwegian but...? The fineness mark 830S might indicate Norway. Per mille was implemented in Norway in 1892. That means that your spoon cannot be older than that (If it is Norwegian). Anyway, since there is no town mark or other marks one can only assume. I managed to find a master punching O.S. in Oslo. His name is Oluf Simonsen born 1869 and dead 1938. He marked 1898-1938. Is it him or not I cannot guarantee.
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Qrt.S wrote:Interesting spoon. It doesn't actually look Norwegian but...? The fineness mark 830S might indicate Norway. Per mille was implemented in Norway in 1892. That means that your spoon cannot be older than that (If it is Norwegian). Anyway, since there is no town mark or other marks one can only assume. I managed to find a master punching O.S. in Oslo. His name is Oluf Simonsen born 1869 and dead 1938. He marked 1898-1938. Is it him or not I cannot guarantee.

Hello!

Thank you so much for the answer. I contacted an antique dealer in Norway. He said that O.S has nothing to do with Oslo. He could not say who the silversmith was. He said that Denmark also stamps the 830S. I'm looking further.

Best regards

Per
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting statement the dealer made. How can he state that the punch O.S. has nothing to do with Oslo? Ask him that what is the source for this information? In addition, he was unable to say who it might be. My sources tell me that O.S. is a registered silversmith in Oslo as I already mentioned. Btw, I managed to find another registered silversmith marking O.S. also in Oslo. He is Otto Meyer Stamnæss, born 1864 and dead 1950. He was active 1898-1950. What may your dealer say about that, deny it too?
Please note thatI haven't said that the spoon is Norwegian,only that it might be it.

Denmark is difficult because there are a whole lot of unknown silversmiths. Unfortunately I didn't find any suitable name there from the sources I have access to. Anyway, I would not exclude Denmark, but as said none known there but in Oslo two known, so....?
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Qrt.S wrote:Interesting statement the dealer made. How can he state that the punch O.S. has nothing to do with Oslo? Ask him that what is the source for this information? In addition, he was unable to say who it might be. My sources tell me that O.S. is a registered silversmith in Oslo as I already mentioned. Btw, I managed to find another registered silversmith marking O.S. also in Oslo. He is Otto Meyer Stamnæss, born 1864 and dead 1950. He was active 1898-1950. What may your dealer say about that, deny it too?
Please note thatI haven't said that the spoon is Norwegian,only that it might be it.

Denmark is difficult because there are a whole lot of unknown silversmiths. Unfortunately I didn't find any suitable name there from the sources I have access to. Anyway, I would not exclude Denmark, but as said none known there but in Oslo two known, so....?

Hey!

Thank you so much for all your help. Maybe the antique dealer does not have full control? Interesting names you have come up with. I searched further.

Best regards

Per
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

PW333abc wrote:
Qrt.S wrote:Interesting statement the dealer made. How can he state that the punch O.S. has nothing to do with Oslo? Ask him that what is the source for this information? In addition, he was unable to say who it might be. My sources tell me that O.S. is a registered silversmith in Oslo as I already mentioned. Btw, I managed to find another registered silversmith marking O.S. also in Oslo. He is Otto Meyer Stamnæss, born 1864 and dead 1950. He was active 1898-1950. What may your dealer say about that, deny it too?

Hey!

Thank you so much for all your help. Maybe the antique dealer does not have full control? Interesting names you have come up with. I searched further.

Today I contacted a person in Norway with good knowledge regarding silver objects. He says that the spoons are made in Oslo. And that it is most likely that the silversmith is Oluf Simonsen. Active between 1898-1938.

Best regards

Per
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

PW333abc wrote:
PW333abc wrote:

Hey!

Today I contacted a person in Norway with good knowledge regarding silver objects. He says that the spoons are made in Oslo. And that it is most likely that the silversmith is Oluf Simonsen. Active between 1898-1938.
So you guessed right.

Best regards

Per
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

PW333abc wrote:
PW333abc wrote:
PW333abc wrote:

Hey!

Today I contacted a person in Norway with good knowledge regarding silver objects. He says that the spoons are made in Oslo. And that it is most likely that the silversmith is Oluf Simonsen.
So you guessed right.

Best regards

Per

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”