Help Identifying IR mark on Spoon

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Help Identifying IR mark on Spoon

Post by dartsil »

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone can identify this maker (IR), the other mark appears to be either 13 1/4 or 13 1/2 which will be Loth. Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,
Colin

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help Identifying IR mark on Spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

With reservations and no guarantees given I manged to find one possible maker punching like this (IR). But before I tell you the name, I'd like to draw your attention to why I believe it is this maker. The twisted/spiral stem and the style, no to talk about the fineness of 13¼ lot indicate Norway around 1850. In Christiania (Oslo) I found Johan Martin Heinrich Rohlff, born 2.8.1850 in Copenhagen/DK. He moved to Christiania/NO 1. April 1844 and worked there as apprentice with F. J. Brick and journeyman as from 23.4.1850. He became master 19.10.1856 and was active to 1900. He dies 1903 or 1904. He made spoons among other things. By the way, he also punched I.ROHLFF.

Is it him or not is up to you to decide ;-)

PS. There are 2 IRs in Denmark, but in my opinion both are too early working in the 18th century.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Many thanks for this information,

I may attribute to him as a possibly but as the post is knew some others may also contribute and maybe agree with you to give this a more definite answer.

Thanks again,
Colin
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Arghhh! Irrespective of how carefully you try to read what you write still you make mistakes. He was born 1830
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

I noticed born 1850 and then you said he went to ... in 1844, was not going to pick you up on such a small thing.

Thanks for your info .

Colin

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”