help me with this swedish Mark

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
robertoalva1

help me with this swedish Mark

Post by robertoalva1 »

Hi, Hello, I need help to know everything about this Antique Compote Lidded, I have found the year 1855, but I would like to know the city, the assay mark and the silver purity.
I attach the photos

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: help me with this swedish Mark

Post by Qrt.S »

It looks like Lidköping in Sweden. The three crown mark (cat's paw) is the assay mark guaranteeing not less than 830/1000 fineness. Unfortunately I cannot find a matching maker EF or possibly EP or...?, for the moment. If I find one I revert to it later. What is the size of it? In my eyes it looks like a sugar bowl, but?
Let's wait for other opinions.
robertoalva1

Post by robertoalva1 »

Hi, thanks for your help, it is not a sugar bowl, it is a compote or a center piece, it measures 13 "high including the lid and 10" wide including the handles, it has an approximate weight of 800 grams.
is EF, I checked it with a magnifying glass.
I would like to know who the assayer is.
robertoalva1

Post by robertoalva1 »

Attach more pictures

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

In my last message I anticipated that the town would be Lidköping, but no master was found. I believe. I have to change my mind. The town mark is more likely Skänninge because there there is a maker punching EF 1855-1877. His name is Edvard Fröberg, born 13.9.1827 in Norrköping and dead 1.12.1877. However, the town mark is still a bit "uncommon", so ...?
There are no assayers' names in Sweden. As already mentioned, the three crowns mark is the official control mark symbolizing the "assayer".
robertoalva1

Post by robertoalva1 »

It agrees with the year in which this piece was manufactured, A5 which is 1855, could you tell me where I can find the information you provide, I have searched for many on the Internet and I could not find it, suddenly could you send me the link to have it as a reference for the future,
Thanks again

Roberto
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Everything is not in internet. The info I gave you is from a book; Svenskt silversmide 1850-1912. Unfortunately sold out and very difficult to find.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”