twice the B.P mark

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Arizona

twice the B.P mark

Post by Arizona »

So I came across this tea spoon, which I find quite old in style but I have no clue wether is american pre 1860 or not. Judging for the hallmark B.P it seems like it. Any clues on style, age, or maker? it has two marks, both identical.

Traintime
contributor

Re: twice the B.P mark

Post by Traintime »

Not a conclusion, but until we get more, just throwing out the possibility of Benjamin Pierpont (WEV might know more on this):
https://library.si.edu/digital-library/ ... meri00fren
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

You must rule out provincial Denmark first, I have a suspicion about its form and artistry which leads me in that direction...
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

a pic of the back of the bowl would be very helpful in figuring out where this is from...
Arizona

Post by Arizona »

samtron76df wrote:a pic of the back of the bowl would be very helpful in figuring out where this is from...
Arizona

Post by Arizona »

Aguest wrote:You must rule out provincial Denmark first, I have a suspicion about its form and artistry which leads me in that direction...
That is an interesting lead, probably you nailed it, but what is it so particular about it?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The "pricking" work...discussed in this thread, for one, which often points to the likely origin: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23848&p=57532&hili ... 698#p57532

Construction of the spoon may be another, which is why the bowl back image was requested. Drop styles give hints along with other things.
Arizona

Post by Arizona »

Here is the thing, there is no pricking in this piece, maybe in the picture it does seem like it, probably because the image quality, but the monograms are engraved.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have seen so many provincial Denmark spoons over the years, due to my obsession with silver, and the style of the engraving, the form of the spoon, and the place where the shaft meets the bowl, they all just point towards provincial Denmark as an origin...

We should look there first, and there is a comprehensive list of Denmark silver makers, it has always helped me...
Arizona

Post by Arizona »

I don´t know what says your source but in the internet I didn´t found anything but newer(post 1893) B.P. maker marks in Denmark. I found a older one that might make sense in Iceland, Bjorn Palsson (1854-1946). In any case this thread can be now moved to "Scandinavian silver" by the moderators.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

everything looks scandinavian - BP is not in registre of Denmark, but only half of the Danish mark are listed. Rest unknown so.
However something regarding pattern say Norway to me (i have not checked the norweigian registre) but from what I see, I would say Norway. late 1800dreds.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I have a rather good register regarding Norway. Unfortunately didn't find anything matching this mark. Finland and Sweden are out of question. Their marking system deviates completely to both Norway and Denmark.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

i have similar pattern bought in Norway - so i would say there.
The danish Empire differs a bit from this.
Northern Germany is also a possibility.
But pattern is a variation of the pattern empire.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”