Info on Norwegian silversmith, J. Bryde, please

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sallyk

Info on Norwegian silversmith, J. Bryde, please

Post by sallyk »

I have a set of six demitasse spoons marked on the back, J. Bryde and 13 1/4. I've read that 13 1/4 was used to mark sterling in Norway before 1923, but I have had no luck in finding information about the silversmith, the pattern or its age. Could someone please help? Many thanks!
Sallyk

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Info on Norwegian silversmith, J. Bryde, please

Post by Qrt.S »

Jens Bryde was a Norwegian master. He was born 1.4.1817 in Kongsberg and died 31.3.1877 in Chrstiania (Oslo). He became master 1847-1877 and was active in the town of Drammen. The fineness 13¼ lot (828,10/1000 but not sterling that is 925/1000) was used in Norway from ~1820-30 >1892. Now you have the time span and location for your spoon.
sallyk

Post by sallyk »

WOW; many thanks for the wealth of information. I know I love the spoons but had no idea they were made by a Norwegian master silversmith! Have decided to keep them instead of selling them. If you know of any websites that have more information about Mr. Bryde and his silver patterns, please let me know. Again, many thanks.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

My pleasure,
Unfortunately I don't know any sites with old Norwegian patterns. However, wait and see and hopefully Tosten from Norway will drop in and sees your question. Maybe he has an answer, just wait!
sallyk

Post by sallyk »

Again many thanks for your help!
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

And here he is.
The pattern is not uncommen in Norway. I've seen it from different silversmiths too, but not in all parts of cutlery.
sallyk

Post by sallyk »

Many thanks for your information.

Does the pattern have a name, and could you please tell me more about the silversmith?

I'm grateful that I found these gems in a mixed lot of silver and plated spoons in an estate sale in Maryland, USA and saved them from being melted down!

Sally
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

No, I have never heard a name of the patter.
Jens Bryde had a workshop in Drammen from 1847 until 1870. Then he moved to Christiania/Oslo and started up a workshop there and when he died in 1877 his nephew William Bryde took over.
sallyk

Post by sallyk »

Many thanks, Tosten and Qrt.S, for all the useful information. That's what I love about groups like this; there's so much expertise! Again, I never would have known about this master craftsman had it not been for the two of you!
Sally

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”