Help With ID's Please -- Thank You

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dilligafhere

Help With ID's Please -- Thank You

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Great web site you have here, long story short i've ended up with 2 silver beakers from Scandinavia. Both belonged to the famous Norweigan Explorer, i presumed the silver makers marks were from Norway,after hunting the internet for a very long time i cannot find these hall marks anywhere
Will be very grateful if someone can ID the makers marks and a possible date of these being made. The beaker with Pedro on it was what the explorer had made for himself after he named the mountain in Antartica Pedro. the other beaker has the image of the explorer on it with 2 letters next to the image which are EM
Look forward to hearing from one of you experts on here. (admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Have no idea how to upload photos to this site, i've put the photos of the silver beakers on this web site link,you can view them here http://www.thamesmudlark.weebly.com/sil ... or-id.html or copy and paste this link please www.thamesmudlark.weebly.com/silver-beakers-for-id.html

Thank you

Regards
Marcus

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements--Only One Item Per Topic )
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Help With ID's Please -- Thank You

Post by 2209patrick »

Welcome to the forum.

Here's one possibility:

Pat.
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Thanks Patrick, are they from Norway or Denmark?

Cheers Mate
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Patrick
That isn't the silver smith, the makers mark is different, also this beaker has a date of 1904 on it. the makers mark you posted is wrong at the top,one on the beaker is different thanks for trying mate,much appreciated

Marcus
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please supply a clear embedded image of the marks. If you want us to help you, then help us, by supplying all the information that you have gleaned so far. Drip feeding snippits such as "also this beaker has a date of 1904 on it", can be very frustrating for someone to read after they have posted their thoughts.

How to Add Images

http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is recommended.

Trev.
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Admin - Sorry and thanks for the (Help) link

dilligafhere wrote:Hi
Great web site you have here, long story short i've ended up with 2 silver beakers from Scandinavia. Both belonged to the famous Norweigan Explorer, i presumed the silver makers marks were from Norway,after hunting the internet for a very long time i cannot find these hall marks anywhere
Will be very grateful if someone can ID the makers marks and a possible date of these being made. The beaker with Pedro on it was what the explorer had made for himself after he named the mountain in Antartica Pedro. the other beaker has the image of the explorer on it with 2 letters next to the image which are EM
Look forward to hearing from one of you experts on here. (admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Have no idea how to upload photos to this site, i've put the photos of the silver beakers on this web site link,you can view them here http://www.thamesmudlark.weebly.com/sil ... or-id.html or copy and paste this link please www.thamesmudlark.weebly.com/silver-beakers-for-id.html

Thank you

Regards
Marcus

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements--Only One Item Per Topic )
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Sorry for messing up.

Photo below is the Pedro Beaker, Has a date of 1904 stamped on it, that could be the date the mountain was named or when the beaker was given to the explorer (I'm not sure)

http://i41.tinypic.com/dc92yo.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

Photo below is the beaker with the explorers image, have no additional information apart from initials EM next to the actual silver image (another silver smith)?

Regards
Marcus
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
please ignore the first image, now found out this is German half crescent crown 830

The second image i cannot find anywhere, your help will be much appreciated

regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

As I see it you already got the answer from 2209patrick. The mark stands for PS Paul Skarsten 1918-2001 in Tronheim Norway. He was the first owner of the company 2209patrick mentioned.
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Thanks for the information, are there any web sites that carry that makers mark? Yes Patrick posted a company earlier, the makers mark is slightly different than the one on this beaker, kunst and metalindusti are not silver smiths, they are a metal merchants

cheers
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Does anyone know?

cheers
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Also believe that you've already been given the correct information on the Roald Amundsen commemorative cup - and have seen the same profile of an older Amundsen (most likely based on a 1920 photograph taken in Nome) on other Norwegian pieces from the 1920s and later, earlier items show a younger depiction of the explorer.

Am a bit curious about your provenance for the two cups and their supposed ownership by Amundsen; especially since a fairly recent, and somewhat awkwardly phrased online auction description says that they were buried in 1938/39 by their Jewish owner along with other Norwegian silver, and then dug up after the war by the only surviving member of the family.....

~Cheryl
dilligafhere

Post by dilligafhere »

Hi
Thanks, These have been re searched so far that they did indeed come from the explorer family, it is fantasy that these were buried, one beaker is German and the other Norweigan,again the maker mark on the beaker is different than the one you are ID'n, the mark on the beaker,the top line is longer, it continues through the upright line
The company you are ID'n ARE not silver smiths and never have been.

Regards
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Might consider checking your own research before making statements as fact - it is the mark of Kunst og Metallindustri, despite slight variation from the illustration (common for silver manufacturer's trademarks); and having seen more than one Amundsen souvenir/commemorative spoon by the same maker, it's typical of their production. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the company is still in business and a member of the Norges Gullsmedforbund (Norwegian Goldsmiths Association).

~Cheryl

From Per Bredo Østby's Norsk Bestikk (2007), showing the mark and some of their flatware production:

Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

Silversmith Paul Skarstein b. 1893 d. 1974 started up Kunst- og Metallindustri i Trondheim in 1918.
Later his son Tore Paul b. 1934 (also silversmith) took over. They had a shop in Trondheim too.
Kunst- og Metallindustri AS is still in work, but in 2001 goldsmith Bjarne Møller in Møllers Gullsmedforretning, Trondheim bought the firm. Regards Tosten

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”