Swedish Silver Decanter from 1770 ?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dekas

Swedish Silver Decanter from 1770 ?

Post by Dekas »

Swedish Silver Decanter from 1770 ? The Decanter in the style of "Rococo"?

I found only one hallmark «M» on handle of Decanter. Without other marks than the main "M" supposed to be the Swedish year letter 1770. But there is no the state control mark (three crowns) — after 1754. What reasons might be? This Decanter is not for export? (if it's Swedish Decanter from 1770)

The hallmark, maybe Swedish but then again it could be German. I am trying to identify the country of origin and makers mark.

I can not identify the hallmark. Can someone help? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Image Image
Image Image
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: Swedish Silver Decanter from 1770 ?

Post by Hose_dk »

this is not swedish. My guess would be German or Austria.
And M = Metal or similar.
Dekas

Post by Dekas »

What «metal»? This very wide concept … To metal belongs about 100 elements (gold, aluminum, silver, tin …)
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

M could be a warning mark like; MET, METAL or METALL in principle for all objects with non-precious metal additions.

Oel
Dekas

Post by Dekas »

This Product be not magnetized. From what metal can be manufactured this product?
Hardly steel can form such composition. It not tin, because metal not soft on a product. I think that this silver...
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

It can be zinc, alpacka, German silver, tin, britannia ...almost whatever white metal alloy even aluminum. With only this M mark it is almost impossible that it would be silver.
JBA

Post by JBA »

Exactly. This appears to be a pewter like alloy that in Britain is called "Britannia Metal", and was used extensively in Germany and Austria (most famously by WMF).

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”