Help to id origin of dog-nose spoon please.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silsella

Help to id origin of dog-nose spoon please.

Post by silsella »

Hi. I would be grateful for any help in identifying the origin and maker of this dog-nose spoon, it has a double struck makers mark only.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your spoon does not look British to me, so I have moved it to this forum, hopefully someone will identify it.
It would help if you could post a photo of the complete spoon.

Trev.
silsella

Post by silsella »

Hi Trev, Thanks for your response, I have posted a picture of the whole spoon below.

Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

I'm inclined to think that the stem is a "new" addition to an 18th century bowl.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Patern Ok Nordic. Spoon heel drop graved (also) late 1700 around 1800.
Dog noose Ok - what I am going to is that this is typically danish or norwegian - marks are also typical danish outside Copenhagen and big cities or norway outside Tronhiem, Bergen or Christiania (Oslo)

Now C.D. not even sure of the last . could be a number and location could be a number of places. But we do have one man - everything fits - patern, marks, time etc.

Christen Jensen Due born approx 1774 son of a gold smith Jens Jensen Due - City Haderslev
Now our Christen Jensen Due is from Aalborg (like I am - very interested in silver from my hometown)
Christen Jensen Due get citienship 20th August 1804 - He is Olderman (a sort of guardein) dead 1820. His vidow continues business. She dies 1839.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

C.D. both . are there and should be. Christen Jensen Due has mark both with .. and without.
Positive it is him.

Rat tail - patern engraved soppose that customers got used to this and therefore had them as ornament. I have similar from Norway.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”