help needed with Swedish Hallmark

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tazbeau

help needed with Swedish Hallmark

Postby tazbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 pm

I know what part of this is. the date code is B5 (1856) ; then the triple crown in the cat paw, and then a symbol? I can't make out. It might be a rearing Lion ( can't remember the correct terminology) facing left. Then the initals. I make them out as follows: N.IUL(?)HN
? seems likely an "I" but I just can't tell.

My question is what is that third 3 symbol.. city mark? Who is the maker?and is this .830 or sterling. I don't see on S that other info has indicated would be there, but I don't know when that practice was started.

The back of the spoon at the handle end is engraved with letters in script. If you need that info, I will provide it.

I wasn't sure where to post this as it might be .830 silver . Please correct me for future posts. Also I have never uploaded pics before, so if I screwed this up, please advise.

blakstone
contributor

Postby blakstone » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm

It is a rearing lion. Technically, it's a rampant demi-lion, emerging from the sea and holding an anchor: the city mark (and civic arms) of Karlshamn, Sweden. The maker "N.IUHLIN" is Niklas Juhlin (1803-1868), working there from 1826. The "cat's paw" guaranteed a minimum fineness of .830; higher fineness was permitted but not generally indicated. Finally, the "S" you mention was not introduced until the Swedish hallmarking reforms of 1912.

Hope this helps!

tazbeau

Postby tazbeau » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Another thank you. Yes, you helped very much. I spend hours and hours doing on-line research, as I can't afford to buy the reference books, and our library doesn't have much.
All of the replies I received today were so very quick and timely and informative. I hope someday I can return the favor.

tazbeau

Postby tazbeau » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Please explain this to me, or point out a reference if that is easier. You wrote" "N.IUHLIN" is Niklas Juhlin", but the letters clearly read IUL(?)HN on the spoon.
I don't understand why there is a difference in the way it appears on the spoon, and the way it is spelled when you wrote it. Do you know why?
thanks,
peggy

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Past times, I & J were often interchangeable. Here is a post the addresses this: viewtopic.php?t=11803

tazbeau

Postby tazbeau » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:52 pm

I had read that post or one similar to it. In this case, 'I" and "J" aren't the letters involved that concerned me. The first 4 letters are legible and are N.IUL _ HN. And I understand the I/J switch.. not the H/L switch.

The response I got said it was this "N.IUHLIN" . The H and L on the spoon are legible, and in the position I showed them. Is there some reason they would be switched on the spoon?
N.IUHLIN is the spelling or ( N.Juhlin) that was suggested by one
of the members
N.IUL-HN This is what is on the spoon.

The H,L, and (2nd)"I" in the name have all been switched in comparison to what is shown on the spoon.

blakstone
contributor

Postby blakstone » Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 am

To be perfectly frank, I didn't notice the variant spelling. My reference is Kersti Holmquist's Svenskt Silversmide 1850-1912. She gives two marks for him: N.JUHLIN. and NJ. (N.IUHLIN was a typo on my part.) However, another reference I have gives his name as Nils Julihn, hence your N.IULIHN. (Holmquist does note that he was known as both Niklas and Nils, though.) Juhlin, Julihn, and Julin are all variations of Julian.

The city mark is definitely Karlsham, and there is no other maker's name there even remotely close (nor even any other with the initials "NJ" or "NI"). Indeed, of the over 1100 silversmiths listed in Holmquist, there isn't a single other in all of Sweden with a surname beginning with "Ju" or "Iu". Despite the variant spellings, I feel certain that Niklas/Nils Juhlin/Iulihn are one and the same.

tazbeau

Postby tazbeau » Fri May 02, 2008 10:35 am

You convinced me and that makes total sense.
Thank you.
Peggy

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”