Identifying Norwegian tea set

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Powersupply

Identifying Norwegian tea set

Post by Powersupply »

Can anyone identify the enclosed marks on this Norwegian tea set?

ImageImage
There are three photos. The first is a pencil drawing of the trademark is a compilation of three blurred images. The second is a photo of the tea set. The third is a photo of the mark.

Thank you.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Did you check the Norwegian marks pages? Suspect it's Magnus Aase.

http://www.925-1000.com/Fnorway_marks.html#1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Cheryl
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

Hello
The coffee-set in silver is made by Theodor Olsens Eftf. in Bergen and are still in production. The mark is correct Magnus Aase who was one of the owners. Th. Olsens Eftf has used the mark since ca. 1920.
Regards Tosten
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Tosten, can you clarify the Aase/Olsens connection? Somewhere in my packed away (and very sketchy) references, seems that I have something saying that Aase bought into Olsens in the early 20th century and the two families were and are(?) active in the company. Did they also acquire Marius Hammer at some point? Was Aase a silversmith or a jeweler/retailer or both, and did he use the conjoined "MA" mark before buying into Olsens? I sometimes run across silver in patterns not introduced until the 1920s-30s with one of the various Aase/Olsens marks and an additional "M.AASE" - did Aase maintain a separate business under his name - and if so, what years was it in operation?

Please forgive all the questions, but they've been confusing to me for years - and I simply don't have access to many Scandinavian references.

~Cheryl
Tosten
contributor

Post by Tosten »

Theodor Olsen (1837-1890) started up in Bergen with his brother Martin i 1868. He died in 1890 and the widow sold the workshop in 1903 to the brothers Magnus and Knut Aase.
Theodor Olsens marks 1868-1903: M & T Olsen, Th.O, Th.Olsen and Theodor Olsen.
Magnus Aase (1876-1953) who has worked by Th. Olsen started up his own workshop and as a retailer in 1899. Then (from 1899) he had the marks we knew from Th.Olsens Eftf. From ca. 1904 Th.Olsens Eftf. used this marks.
Magnus Aase continued his own business with the marks M.AA and M.AASE. This firm closed down in 1993.
Marius Hammer brooke down in 1930 and Th.Olsens Eftyf. bought the machinery.
Regards Tosten
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Thank you Tosten!

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Identifying Norwegian tea set

Post by dognose »

'MA' mark registered by Theodor Olsen's Eftf. in 1920:

Trev.