18th century German? Ball foot beaker. Unknown maker

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

18th century German? Ball foot beaker. Unknown maker

Post by legrandmogol »

I recently purchased this simple cup. It only has an applied band around the middle with no other decoration. It is marked FHK inside of an oval twice with scratch assay marks. The interior of the rim and the band have gilding still. It stands about 3.5" tall. It may not be German at all but that is my best guess. If anyone knows anything more I would be appreciative.

Aguest
contributor

Re: 18th century German? Ball foot beaker. Unknown maker

Post by Aguest »

I've noted this form from Sweden ::: Are all those zig-zag marks "tremolstitch" (however you spell that word) like the zig-zag marks that are commonly seen on pieces from Germany taken by the silver assay masters? ::: Not sure what to make of that, usually you see one or two zig-zag lines. :::: But the "double makers mark" is something that I have seen from Denmark, pieces from provincial Denmark. ::: I've heard of a "double makers mark" on pieces from Switzerland as well, so there's a slight chance of Switzerland. ::: The zig-zag marks do bring Germany to mind, and I have had 17th century German pieces with only a maker's mark on them, but wouldn't you expect additional marks if this were 18th century German? :::::
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

the scratch marks are more shallow than I am used to seeing so that might explain why there is more than one. I think it's early 18th century. I couldn't find anything in my Swiss books or the Danish book, haven't checked Swedish but I don't think it is. I have a few German silver books but as Germany was a collection of small states it's hard to get them all.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Turns out it's Swedish from Stockholm. The maker is Friedrich Heinrich Klinck who worked from 1723 to 1754
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I wanted so bad to make it Swedish because of the form. :::: But I had never seen a "double-makers-mark" from Sweden before without any additional marks so I wasn't sure if that was extremely uncommon or whatever. :::: The light zig-zag marks I have never seen before, maybe an assay master was practicing, who knows? ::::

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”