Soviet silver mark on Enameled Cups and Saucers

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Phate008

Soviet silver mark on Enameled Cups and Saucers

Post by Phate008 »

I have been having a hard time finding marks like this one on any of the silver ID websites. Is this 916/1000 silver. Also does anyone recognize the makers mark?

AG2012
contributor

Re: Soviet silver mark on Enameled Cups and Saucers

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Leningrad jewelry factory ЛЮ (Ленинградский ювелирный завод)
9ЛЮ number 9 is date code for 1969.
Letter L (Л) in front of the star is for Loningrad Assay Office and fineness 916.
Regards
Phate008

Post by Phate008 »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Leningrad jewelry factory ЛЮ (Ленинградский ювелирный завод)
9ЛЮ number 9 is date code for 1969.
Letter L (Л) in front of the star is for Loningrad Assay Office and fineness 916.
Regards
Thanks so much. After posting this I found a blog discussing a bunch of Russian marks and pieces. They had a cup with the same mark that they also said it was from Leningrad and that the mark was found on export wares made for USA and UK export ware. That's very helpful to get the name of the company, date, and location. Thanks again
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Those were regular, official Soviet marks.There was no particular export mark.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes regular and common Soviet marks as AG2012 wrote.
However, I would be interested in knowing on what ground your mentioned blog claimed that the marks would be export marks particularly for UK and USA? Maybe you could ask it? You see I have noticed this claim a few times before, but never found out what is the reason for it. To my understanding didn't the Soviet Union have a particular "export" mark on silver, while old Imperial Russia had an import mark, this П.Т mark, but not either an export mark, but??? (П.Т means привознынх товарои i.e. "imported goods"). There was no actual export with silver objects in USSR, but silver objects were taken abroad unofficially but also officially. When it was take abroad officially the object was punched with a mark showing the right looking kokoshnik in a standing oval frame without any assay office symbol. This procedure was, however, a bit complicated and a more seldom used procedure. Anyway the mentioned mark was used 1908-1917/27.
Sorry my question is undoubtedly a bit out of topic but anyway interesting.
Phate008

Post by Phate008 »

In the blog, the item that had the same Leningrad mark was made of 925 instead of 916. The author claimed that this was possibly indicative of export as sterling was more common in the USA and in the UK. A second piece that was pictured, also enamel over silver, did have Swedish import marks. The author claims "I have only ever found enamel silver that was meant for export but I would assume that other forms of work were also exported."
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Phate008

Neither heard nor read about that, but...? Anyway, could be or not... The Soviets considered silver objects more or less as capitalistic propaganda (read "junk metal"). During the Soviet period lots of silver objects were melted and sold (abroad) to the price of raw material. Among those melted objects also some objects made by Fabergé was melted or sold as such to scrap metal price (relatively cheap), because the new Soviet regime badly needed foreign currency. Years went by and later the Soviets regret what they have done and started to try to try to buy back their lost heritage. It was not so successful because done was done.

It is, anyway, maybe possible because the fineness mark (e.g. 916) guarantees only the lowest legal fineness used in the object. It could be more i.e. higher, but I don't think so. It seldom is. As said, I have not seen or stumbled into such a claim, but....???
In addition, as already mentioned, there is no known Russian silver punch especially used for export! Kindly ask the blog for evidence of their claim. An author's claim or "possible indicative" is unfortunately not enough. Anyway an interesting case.

Sterling is more common in UK for obvious reasons!

Return to “Russian Silver”