Christ pantocrator icon with some confusing markings

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emwtg2

Christ pantocrator icon with some confusing markings

Post by emwtg2 »

Hello.

I found this on the wall at my grandmother's home and figured it was some sort of reproduction but wanted to double check with those of you with expertise in these items.

On the bottom of the icon there is the mark Д.T- assay mark- and a possible 184 something cut off. A nail is driven thru the letters HE (which I found no info about). As well as an 84 and St. Petersburg crest.

Then next to the face there is a 1870, 84, an 8 with something cut off and a BC or HC?

Thank you for any insights on this.

Dad
contributor

Re: Christ pantocrator icon with some confusing markings

Post by Dad »

Hi.

Such idea: bought a silver riza from the ragman (St. Petersburg the 1840th) and a silver wreath (Moscow 1870). The modern artist drew an icon and artificially made old it (craquelure). Compote turned out.
emwtg2

Re: Christ pantocrator icon with some confusing markings

Post by emwtg2 »

Dad wrote:Hi.

Such idea: bought a silver riza from the ragman (St. Petersburg the 1840th) and a silver wreath (Moscow 1870). The modern artist drew an icon and artificially made old it (craquelure). Compote turned out.
Thank you for your response.

The riza and wreath may be legitimate markings then? I did not know adding wreath's was something done. I agree the craquelure looks modern or computer generated.

Return to “Russian Silver”