Ask before you buy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Ask before you buy

Post by amena »

I have often read on this forum, ask before buying.
I saw this icon at a flea market. Before buying it, I thought it would be a good idea to submit a photo for your opinion to find out if the marks are
genuine.
Thanks for your attention.
Amena
Mart
contributor

Re: Ask before you buy

Post by Mart »

I believe that these are genuine Moscow stamps of 1842.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The assayer seems to be AK. That would be Andrei Kovalskij. Active in Moscow 1821-56. The town mark riding St. George (Moscow) is also a typical town mark for the period. However the white sticker states "Icona Greca fine 800" ??????? What is that suppose to mean? It is Russian made! Moreover, 84 zolotnik is clearly seen and that is not 800/1000 fineness, so ??? Another question is that who is the maker BK? Unfortunately I have not found any suitable master, but again...? The riza is not either well made, sloppy work. Anyway, I you like it, buy it. In that case please clean and polish the riza.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks to both of you for your confirmation.

To Qtr.S
Seen from life, the icon is not so bad. In the photo it looks worse.
Don't pay attention to the label
The seller said that he does not know much about, and so he showed it to an "expert" who decreed:
It is not Russian but Greek from the end of the 19th century.
In the event that I conclude the purchase, I will ask who is this expert who lives in my city.
Thanks again
Amena
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi Amena,

OK; if you say "it is not so bad" I believe you, anyway, it looks like "second hand "junk". I would never care a rotten dime of what the sellers say. I have stated many times here that believe only on your own eyes and knowledge (or ask here before you buy something). This seller seems not to know anything (e.g. the label)! Besides, his main purpose is to sell and make profit nothing else. The marks clearly show that it is Russian made in 1842 irrespective of what the seller claims...!
Indeed an "expert's" opinion "It is made in Greece.....end of 19th cent....1842!? (but marked with Russian marks!?....:-))))))))))))))))))))))))"

BTW. I made some further investigations, but unfortunately I could not find any suitable maker's name for BK from Moscow in mine available sources. However, there are still lots of to name unknown imperial Russian makers and marks too, so.....

If you buy it and clean it (be careful with the gilded areas), it would be nice if you would show the result here. Thank you in advance.
Anyway, please think twice before you buy it!
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I have not yet decided whether to buy it or not, also because it will be necessary to see at what price the seller is willing to go down.
The next market will be in 15 days, and by then, he may have already sold it.
If so, I certainly wouldn't regret it.
Best
Amena
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

About the silversmith. There are many possible options. I think it's Vasily: Kolesnikov, Krotov or Kirillov. (Василий: Колесников, Кротов или Кириллов)

Return to “Russian Silver”