Koch & Bergfeld flatware in Russia

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Koch & Bergfeld flatware in Russia

Post by silverfan »

It is well-known that K&B, Bremen exported much silver to Russia before WW I mostly via Riga (at the moment under eBay-No. 284453099971 is offered a spoon made by K&B and marked by Fabergé). Here we have the pattern no. 24100 issued in 1897 marked with kokoshnik 1908-1917 and a sign behind the head which could be a L? Further the two marks to the left are unknown to me: W.H and an oval with 3 stars and a fish ?
Does anybody know these markings?
Regards silverfan

Dad
contributor

Re: Koch & Bergfeld flatware in Russia

Post by Dad »

Hi.

WH - Wladyslaw Hempel (workshop of Brothers Hempel, Warsaw, 1908-1915.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
W.H. is the mark of Wladyslaw Hempel.Crescent and 3 stars in an oval is the workshop symbol of Wladyslaw Hempel. Wladyslaw Hempel was a co-owner of Bracia Hempel Хемпель (Brothers Hempel) and he managed production.There was one more mark with full Hempel name.
The factory "Brothers Hempel" was active between 1894-1944. Founders were brothers Stefan and Wladyslaw Hempel, trained silversmiths. The factory made silver, plated and nickel plated products at Leszno Street 100 in Warsaw, and the management and shop in the building of the Grand Theater at pl. Theater. In 1904 there were 70 workers. Wladyslaw managed the production, and Stefan dealt with commercial matters. There was also design and modeling Studio.The Company produced tableware, coffee and tea services as well as sport trophies. They developed new styles "Zakopane Style" and "Slavic style". Tableware was commissioned by Polish Foreign Office for diplomatic missions around the world.
Fabryka Platerów i Sreber "Bracia Hempel"
The factory (building was demolished).
The mark seen after Polish independence is ``W.H`` in a hexagon.
Regards
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Thanks Dad. So the L? behind the head means Warsaw and the stars with fish? is the personal mark of Hempel!?
Regards silverfan
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Thanks AG2012 too. I learnt that the stars and fish mark is not a personal mark but a workshop mark.
Regards silverfan
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Everything is explained above; it is crescent moon with 3 stars - the mark of their workshop.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Besides, the letter for Warsaw assay office is Greeek Iota. ι

Return to “Russian Silver”