Is this Russian silverware?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverBuggy

Is this Russian silverware?

Post by SilverBuggy »

I stumbled upon 12 pairs of dessert forks and knives. There are hallmarks on the blades and tines. I cannot find any seams between the handles and the blades and tines. Does that mean they are all made of solid silver? Unforunately, all the hallmarks are so ruubed that there is only one still has recognizable marks. I guess they are Russian Kokoshnik silverware. Any clues where they were made? Thanks a lot!

Mart
contributor

Re: Is this Russian silverware?

Post by Mart »

Hello! This is not the hallmark of official Russian silver, but ... it may be the products of Russian silversmiths in emigration after the revolution (1917), for example, in the city of Harbin (China).
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

Thanks a lot! That really might be the case. The marks do look like the Second Kokoshinik, but there are some discrepancies.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Amazing! Leiba Itskavich Shniperson, who forging hallmarks in Zhmerinka is a forger. But, an emigrant in Harbin forging state hallmarks on silver deserves respect and mention ... where the world is heading ... )))
Поддельные клейма - они и в Африке поддельные (english: no excuse for fake)
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

I did my rudimnetary test of the whole stuff. These are silver. But I need to bring them to a pawn shop if I want to know the silve content in them.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: Which cities other than Harbin are known for making Russian-style silverware? :::: I bought a collection of Russian-style twisted-handle teaspoons and I never could understand why some of them were not hallmarked & some had incorrect-looking Russian-style hallmarks & some were even marked "925" :::: I think it's important that people know there were Russian silversmiths who emigrated to other countries who did still make silver objects in the Russian style and it's important to know how to identify these objects. ::::: I don't understand how the issue of respect or disrespect enters into the equation at all. :::: Now I know that some Russian silversmiths emigrated to other countries and continued to make silver objects, which seemed the most likely explanation to me, but I never knew it before now. ::::
SilverBuggy

Post by SilverBuggy »

As far as I know, there were a large groups of Russian diaspora in Xinjiang and Norther eastern provinces of China following the Russian Revolution. There are still people living these places nowadays. But since 1980s, most of them migrated to North America and countries like Australia.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Aguest wrote:::: I think it's important that people know there were Russian silversmiths who emigrated to other countries who did still make silver objects in the Russian style and it's important to know how to identify these objects. ::::: I don't understand how the issue of respect or disrespect enters into the equation at all. ::::
These are emotions, impression.
I believe that it is necessary to establish frameworks and definitions. What do we attribute to the Silver of the Russian Empire, and what do we not. In addition, it is necessary to fix once and for all the definition of a original hallmarks, as opposed to a fake one. Otherwise, "Russian" masters and it's "products" will continue to emerge in different parts of the world.

Return to “Russian Silver”