Unknown maker from Riga

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ubaranda
contributor

Unknown maker from Riga

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!

Does anyone know who is the maker of these spoons?

Thanks in advance.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Unknown maker from Riga

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello Ubaranda!
have no knowledge of who it might be, but I give you my best shot!
If we anticipate that the mark's initials are JB it could, note COULD, be Jānis Bētinš active in Riga (1874-1955). Unfortunately his mark is not known, but the initials... Anyway they matches with the assayer's (ИС Ilija Sorokin's) working period 1888-1891. If you disagree, I fully accept it, but in that case what is your suggestion, what are the initials? Cannot do any better!
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi Qrt.S!
Thanks for your reply. But Janis Betiņš was born in 1874 and did not start his activity that year. In 1891 he was only 17 years old...
V.Vilite mentions Johann Joachim Heinrich Bonatz from Saldus (No. 972) who was known in 1870-1898. Maybe JB it's him...
Regards.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

My pleasure,
I don't directly "disagree," please note that I wrote "COULD". It was only a suggestion. However, Yes I noted Bonacs, but he was active in Saldus (Kuldiga). There is nothing written of him working in Riga. Kuldiga has a town mark of its own and on your spoons you can clearly see Riga's town mark??? Vilite doesn't write anything about Riga.

BTW.
I believe, you know that the assayer ИС (mark on your spoon) is not Ivan Spiridonov (mentioned in the book) but Ilija Yegorovich Sorokin 1888-1891 in Riga.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
In 1891 there was only one assay office in the Livland province - in Riga. The makers from all cities of Livland had to brand their products in Riga.

Return to “Russian Silver”