Russian enamel spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dunkinduncan

Russian enamel spoon?

Post by dunkinduncan »

Hi,

Am new to the forum, hope someone can help me please! Acquired this spoon and believe it is Russian but don't know anything about the topic, can someone please shed some light? I understand there are lots of fakes in the market and I want to understand the piece a bit better! Hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me.

Thank you in advance.

Duncan
Juke*
contributor

Re: Russian enamel spoon?

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

A nice tea caddy set spoon with a good quality champlevé enameling silver. The spoon seem to have the marking of the famous Hlebnikov firm with the ИX marking.

In my opinion there are a few issues with the marking which don't seem to look correct and even the enameling work has some question marks regarding how it is supposed to have been made so I would say the spoon is unfortunately not authentic. This is just my opinion.

Regards,
Juke
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The only positive aspect is the engraving on gilded surface; who would bother to fake it ?
Otherwise, marks are suspicious, as well as the overall appearance, including enamel.
On the other hand, not every Imperial Russian cloisonné is perfect.
Regards
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

I believe the engraving has probably been made later (as a gift) and would thereby not have been on the original spoon. The spoon could be of Russian/Eastern European origin but I would consider it not to be by the Hlebnikov firm. As said the marking is in my opinion with the biggest question marks, thereby would be a later addition.

Return to “Russian Silver”