Soviet era silver cigarette box, hammer qnd sickle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blueheron

Soviet era silver cigarette box, hammer qnd sickle

Post by blueheron »

I have recently obtained this lovely box and am trying to identify the maker. The inscription is from 1929, obviously the work could have been done earlier but iconographically I believe that the inscription date is the proper time period. The only similar mark I could find was Alexsei Stepanov but his work wasn't typically this good and he was approximately thirty years earlier. Any ideas as to the maker? Image
AG2012
contributor

Re: Soviet era silver cigarette box, hammer qnd sickle

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Initials are ДС (DS)

Likely SMIRNOV Dmitry Lukich. Mentioned in 1905-1917.
The mark ``worker and hammer`` has been used since 1927.That`s only 10 years after the silvermith was mentioned.Hellenic letter delta is for Moscow assay office.
Some of them obviously continued to work but the production was adjusted to new ideas (compare with porcelain propaganda plates made by Imperial Porcelain Factory, as well as suprematist decor).
I have no records of nationalized workshops and artels, but they did continue with production after the revolution.
Regards
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Dmitry Smirnov's workshop was known from 1893 to 1928 and possibly for several more years. He was the supplier of the highest court.
blueheron

Post by blueheron »

Thanks all, ever so much for cleaning this up and making it work! I am surprised I even got the pics to load, appreciate your help very much.

Return to “Russian Silver”