Russian Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Russian Spoon

Post by JanGroen »

Good day
Family of mine got a selection of mostly late 18th century British sterling. I found this in between them. Any information is welcome. They still use it to serve food and it has been in the family for at least 40 years.

Jannie

JanGroen
contributor

Re: Russian Spoon

Post by JanGroen »

Good day
So I figured out it is assayed in St.Peterburg by Igor Ivanovich Blomberg. Not sure who IAL is

Jannie
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello JanGroen,

Blomberg and St Petersburg!? Mind my asking but wherefrom did you get that? Yegor Blomberg assayed in Tiflis 1841-1886, never in St Petersburg, The assayer is Eduard Brandenburg in Riga 1850-51. Haven't found the maker yet....
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Qrt.S wrote:Hello JanGroen,

Blomberg and St Petersburg!? Mind my asking but wherefrom did you get that? Yegor Blomberg assayed in Tiflis 1841-1886, never in St Petersburg, The assayer is Eduard Brandenburg in Riga 1850-51. Haven't found the maker yet....
I have no idea about Russian silver but nobody replied so I tried my best... Was very scary to post on the Russian forum as loads of fighting here all the time
Thanks for the help.
Jannie
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Qrt.S wrote:Hello JanGroen,

It looked very similar to the mark of Blomberg used on the 925-1000 website. Also thought the town mark is for St. Petersburg.
Jannie
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes Brandenburg's and Blomberg's marks are similar but the town mark is the separating factor also sometimes the working periods. The town mark on your spoon is Riga's.
BTW, there is no fighting here only differing opinions now and then, but never mind them. Feel free to post whenever you need an answer. I'm still searching the maker. It may take a while...
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Maybe Johann Andreas Leischke, Vilite № 229.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, good suggestion, Leischke it is. 1840-1873 in Riga.

Return to “Russian Silver”