Table Spoon Ovchinnikov

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Table Spoon Ovchinnikov

Post by silverfan »

In Corona times new acquisitions are rather rare and "traffic" on this forum too. Therefore and because I am always cautious in respect of russian silver I show a table spoon marked Ovchinnikov and assayed in Moskow by A.K in 1880. I did not find the assayer in Postnikowa. Is the spoon authentic?
Regards silverfan

AG2012
contributor

Re: Table Spoon Ovchinnikov

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
A.K is often found on Moscow silver; unknown assayer, as far as I can tell.
This quote is from a Russian source:
In the process of completing the "Database of Russian hallmarks on decorative and decorative items made of precious metals", created at the GosNIIR, it turned out that, along with the assay master Andrei Antonovich Kovalsky, who had the A • K mark and worked in the period 1821-1856, there are marks of another assay master who also had “A • K” mark. But these hallmarks date back to 1879-1884. There is no information about this assayer in the literature.
Regards
В процессе наполнения «Базы данных по российским клеймам на изделиях ДПИ из драгоценных металлов», созданной в ГосНИИР, выяснилось, что наряду с пробирным мастером Андреем Антоновичем Ковальским, имевшим клеймо «А • К» и работавшим в период 1821-1856 гг., существуют клейма другого пробирного мастера, также имевшего клеймо «А • К». Но эти клейма датируются 1879-1884 годами. В литературе информация о данном мастере отсутствует.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
The mark A.K belongs to Moscow assayer Alexander Stakheevich Kudrin (Александр Стахиевич Кудрин). He worked in 1878-1882.
Regards.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The tip of the spoon seems very sharp which I always try to check for signs of use. ::: Seems like this spoon was not used very much at all. :::: What is the length of the spoon? ::::
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Thanks AG2012 and Ubaranda for your answers.
I have another spoon of the same origin and pattern with the same monogram where the tip of the bowl is more used. The length is between 21 and 22 cm.
My hesitation resulted from not finding the assayer. With the help of Ubaranda the question was solved.
Regards silverfan
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
They are massive: therefore not surprised The government inspector in Nikolai Gogol`s Ревизор (Revizor), was stealing cutlery during dinner stuffing spoons into his high boots.
Regards

Return to “Russian Silver”