St.Petersburg Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
madej

St.Petersburg Spoon

Post by madej »

Hi.
What do you think about this spoon? It is quite unusual for Russian spoons. Will the silversmith be the one with the number 1358 at PL ?
It was only after cleaning that I noticed that there was also a small kokoshnik mark.
The spoon is quite heavy because it weighs 77 grams with a length of 17.7 cm.
Regards
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
AG2012
contributor

Re: St.Petersburg Spoon

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks OK to me; N.M. Bobir
Have seen his mark next to Morozov marks.

Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Hi AG2012
Thank you for your confirmation.
Don't you think that such a Russian spoon is quite rare? This is my first encounter with this form of the Russian spoon.
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

I back to the topic.
I got a question from one of the forum members regarding permission to use the photos of my spoon in a Czech publication about silver, as an example of a completely different style of Russian cutlery. Is it only me and one of the forum members, therefore, of the opinion that a spoon in this form is rarely found in Russian silver?
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The handle may look unusual but the bowl of this form can be seen in almost every Russian spoon.
Let`s not be rigid; Russia was not an isolated island. Just look at Faberge catalog in Russian section here; it does not differ from European silver from elsewhere.
I see no problem with this spoon. Besides, kokoshnik mark is not suspicious at all.
Regards

P.S. I am not sure if I understood the comment about permission to discuss this spoon.
My opinion is a bit rebellious; I do not use and quote anything for commercial reasons, I make no profit in reproducing images from elsewhere, and if I can quote Shakespeare and Goethe without asking for permission, why should I take care of a picture taken by an auction house, and the item was not even made by them, does not even belong to them.
So called intellectual property is just overinflated.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

This spoon seems to have been cast, a more expensive process, I can't recall the last time I saw a Russian silver spoon which had been cast ::: If I had to guess just based on the pictures, I see more of a German "Rococo Revival" tradition in this particular spoon. ::::

I'm willing to be overruled if someone can show me other Russian silver cast spoons. :::: Until then, I believe the spoon is uncommon. ::::
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Cannot either remember seeing a cast Russian spoon ever. Unusual it is that is for sure. The marking is also OK to me, so...?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Cast ornamental silver spoon, naturalistic style, Bracia Hempel (Brothers Wladyslaw and Stefan), 1894-1944, Warschau. Assayer: Aleksandr Kazimirovich Vyrzhikovsky, Warschau 1904-1908

Peter.
madej

Post by madej »

HI.
Thank you for all the comments. Everyone agrees that the spoon is much rarer in this form. Oel, can you please specify the dimensions and weight of the Hempel Brothers spoon.
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Weight of the spoon 30 gram, length 13.5 cm

Peter.

Source; private collection Goldstein.
madej

Post by madej »

Thanks Oel, which is much lighter.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

What type of hallmark is that on the handle of the first spoon? ::: It looks like a circle with a head inside it, is that technically a kokoshnik mark or is it some other kind of mark? ::: Interesting that the other spoon also has a hallmark of a head, although the cartouche is more angular and square-shaped ::: Thanks for showing the pictures of these uncommon spoons. :::::
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

In this case the round kokoshnik mark has been used on the detachable part so the spoon handle and the spoon bowl has been marked with the main oval kokoshnik mark. I assume the maker for some reason (aesthetic reason?) didn't mark the handle so the assayer then struck the round kokshinik mark to indicate that the handles purity has also been checked as all parts needed to be checked and marked. After that the two parts has been soldered together.

Typically the detachable part is struck by the maker with his makers mark and then the assayer marks beside it with the 84 purity mark.

Regards,
Juke

Return to “Russian Silver”