Russian silver spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
niceguy1

Russian silver spoon

Post by niceguy1 »

HELLO

I'd appreciate help with identification of these hallmarks & opinion on the spoon.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian silver spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

Aleksandr Kudrin (AK 1878-82) assayed this teaspoon in Moscow 1882. The maker is Savely Antonovich Staroverov around 1860-1895. I duly hope that you don't believe that the maker would be Sazikov. The Sazikov family/company didn't use the initials CAC. Unfortunately there are some books among those Ivanov dedicating this mark CAC to Sazikov, but that is incorrect.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Skurlov offers this name STAROVEROV Svyatoslav Antonovich.
СТАРОВЕРОВ Святослав Антонович

Regardss
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@AG2012
Thanx, I shall immediately correct the name.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Qrt.S wrote:@AG2012
Thanx, I shall immediately correct the name.
Qrt.S, don't do this! Skurlov's list contains some errors. This is one of them. Everything should be checked by the archives.
Regards.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Ubaranda
OK, I shall immediately re-correct it, thanks! It is interesting how he writes his forename Савел. Usually it would be written ...ий. Maybe he was from Ukraine?

Anyway, there are errors in practically all books. I pointed out an error in Ivanov and have registered more than a hundred errors and mistakes in Postnikova. Its Minsk chapter is a complete mess, about 75% is incorrectly attributed marks. They belong to Warsaw and Warsaw is totally missing from the book. Ubaranda found one in Skurlov etc. etc.........what a pity.
I bought with high hopes World Hallmarks, Europe some years ago. It is a totally new book but it contains an amazing lot of insufficient information...in a new book!? Another disappointment is Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks. Almost fainted when a read the Russian chapter. It seems to be copied from Watts with all faults and new are made.....ahhaaaa! It is also a rather new book. One must be very careful and selective when using book sources. As stated many times here, most of the books seem to be copied from each other and the snowball is growing and growing. Disinformation is spread widely, but that seems to be very popular today, this so called "alternative truth" ;-))))))

However, many mistakes, errors etc have been corrected on these sites by participants with knowledge. That is a something to be grateful for.
Thank you once again.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Савелій variants are seen both in Ukraine and Belorussia.
Regards
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

@Qrt.S

Millers is shockingly bad, in many chapters it’s just old copied information that’s way out of date. Very few experts took part in the project because Millers wanted their contribution for free. There was also the outright rejection of a few experts who had comprehensive books already on marks for certain countries.

It was sadly a failed and flawed project that resulted in a basic overview book that’s good for the 7 year old collector who’s just starting out.

You could never get a world marks book within 2 small volumes. Financially it’s simply too expensive to produce this kind of work. I don’t know what they were thinking!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@mk209

Yes, Millers is not worth its price. However, everything is not "incorrect" in it. It has its value e.g. as you mentioned "a beginners book". Anyway, There are no perfect books, everyone has its flaws, errors and imperfections. The great misery is, that those flaws etc. in books in general are copied to other books without checking the source/background. When this is repeatedly done, it in the end becomes the "truth". This creates a big problem because people are referring to what is in written text and that again seems to be "carved in stone". Sad, very sad indeed!

I hate to repeat, but I am a silver fan Finn and ordered World Hallmarks with high hopes and thoughts of finally "they made it". I read the Finnish chapter an and sighed deeply. Then the Russian chapter and I sighed even deeper, and....Nonetheless, there are a lot of useful information in WH but it is no silver bible as it seems to believed here. Its content does not fully match the title of the book. It is absolutely worth to check from other sources too before making a final decision.
Anyway, it is nice that you too brought this unfortunate fact to light, thanks for that.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

There are no Silver Bibles, there are however good comprehensive hallmark books with flaws and (little) errors. Miller's Encyclopedia of World Silver Marks part I and II is not a good bookwork, indeed is a bad example.
HRI has done a good job and recently published a pair of good reference books about hallmarks and year letters used in different parts of the world.

To whom it may concern.

Peter.

Return to “Russian Silver”