Who is assayer HA in Moscow from arond 1834-41?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Qrt.S
contributor

Who is assayer HA in Moscow from arond 1834-41?

Post by Qrt.S »

In a book from 1938 containing pictures and marks from a today dissolved silver collection (Falk Simons) I stumbled into a Russian assayer's mark that confused me: HA 1835 from Moscow. There were several objects with this assayer's mark, from 1834 to 1841. Those initials are completely unknown to me. First I thought it was НД, but is is clearly HA. Does anybody recognize this assayer HA, not to talk about the maker?
Thank you in advance.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Who is assayer HA in Moscow from arond 1834-41?

Post by Qrt.S »

Nothing !?
Anyway, I have been inform by PM that no assayers with those initials were active in Moscow at that time. Actually I knew it, but having the mark in front of you makes you wonder... I find it very difficult to understand this, since I found the shown picture and mark in a well known Swedish silver collector's book of his collection, published 1938. The book lists six (6) objects with the assayer's initial HA. However, I haven't been able to identify any of the makers. That indicates something, but...?

Any hints???
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
It is easy to confuse Н.Д with Н.А if the marks were fuzzy.
The assayer should be only Н.Д (Николай Дубровин) but not Н.А.
By the way, the pictures in your book are very bad and don't look like real marks at all.
Regards.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thanks Ubaranda,
I agree that something is not in place here. I have no records, nothing regarding an assayer with the initials HA, but Nikolay Dubrovin is well known. All the marks in the (Falk Simons silversamling 1938) Falk Simon (1874-1957) was a well known Swedish silver collector. Today his collection is scattered all over and in Swedish museums, but the book remains. The marks in the book of 6 objects are all soot marks. They are copies from the marks on the objects. Not much to do about that. Well, in other words six fakes in museums, what a pity.
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Qrt.S wrote: Well, in other words six fakes in museums, what a pity.
Unfortunately it is quite likely ...

Return to “Russian Silver”