Help needed identifying maker's marks, please.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Atlas
contributor

Help needed identifying maker's marks, please.

Post by Atlas »

Hello,

Help would be needed identifying the hallmarks on this set of six Russian butter knife ( length 8.5cm ) holders in silver on the photos (, I apologise the quality of the photos ) down below;

I think that the assay-master's initials point to Jakov Lyapunov( in St.Petersburg 1899-1903 if I remember correct,) and the kokoshnik-figure looking to left for 1899-1908.
The maker's mark could from my point of view be I and K or N and K in cyrillic...which leaves plenty of options regarding the maker...
So help with this would once again be appreciated if you please.

- Atlas -
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Help needed identifying maker's marks, please.

Post by Qrt.S »

Those are called "knife rests". You are correct regarding the assayer, town and period. Anyway, the maker's mark is really badly punched that means I have to rely on what you believe is the mark and only assuming the following:
If the initials are ИК, the maker could be Iliya Katorsky (Ilija Katorskij) 1882-1841. If the marks are HK, the maker could be Nikolay Kemper 1892-1908. Both active in St Petersburg. Somehow i believe in the first one.
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

@Qrt.S.
Thank you for the correction.
Yes, those makers were on my list.
I would also be more drawn to the same option between these makers.( Kemper perhaps more of the neo-classical type his work.)
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I do value it a lot, based on your vast experience.
Best regards,
- Atlas -
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Actually you have a problem here. I took a closer look at the initials. In St Petersburg at that time I can list a dozen more names punching those marks.... so ???
Atlas
contributor

Post by Atlas »

Well, actually that was my point from the beginning...They do really come plenty with those initials...Back to square one, suppose I.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Well yes and no. I believe the mentioned names are more "known" than the others...but, but but...It is always a problem when you have several names to choose from. You need to find out their background and that is today difficult since a lot of documentation is lost and also destroyed both by the Russian regime as well as by the bolsheviks.

Return to “Russian Silver”