Spoon marked 84

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
PW333abc

Spoon marked 84

Post by PW333abc »

Hello!

I would be very grateful for help.
I think 84 means it's silver. But what do the rest of the stamps mean?

Best regards

Per

PW333abc

Spoon marked 84

Post by PW333abc »

]Hello!

I would be very grateful for help.
I think 84 means it's silver. But what do the rest of the stamps mean?

Could it be analysis master Alexander ilyich yashinov and the mark of St. Petersburg.
Are the other letters for another silversmith?

Best regards

Per

Image[/quote]
AG2012
contributor

Re: Spoon marked 84

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
From left to right:
Upside down:A.я Assayer in Petersburg: Alexander Yashinov (Aлександер яшинов).
(From PL book, there were mistakes reported, not sure if in regard of this assayer.)
Town mark for St. Petersburg 1818-1864.
84 Zolotnik silver standard for .875 silver fineness.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_01.html
BK maker is unknown to me.
Regards
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
From left to right:
Upside down:A.я Assayer in Petersburg: Alexander Yashinov (Aлександер яшинов).
(From PL book, there were mistakes reported, not sure if in regard of this assayer.)
Town mark for St. Petersburg 1818-1864.
84 Zolotnik silver standard for .875 silver fineness.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_city_01.html
BK maker is unknown to me.
Regards
Hello!

Thank yoy very much for the answer. If I understand correctly, he was quite a famous silversmith?
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Do you know what an analysis master is? He has such a title I saw in one place.

Best regards

Per
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

My explanation was very clear:
A.я was the assayer (analysis master in your words) in Petersburg: Alexander Yashinov (Aлександер яшинов).He is NOT the maker.
The silversmith was BK unknown to me.
It is rather common spoon made in the first half of 19th century, and I see no reason for it being more valuable because it was made in Russia.
It is true that Russian silver became lucrative and much sought for, but I think it is overrated unless associated with excellence in craftsmanship and design, the fact one definitively cannot see in ordinary items like spoons meant for everyday use.
Regards
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

AG2012 wrote:My explanation was very clear:
A.я was the assayer (analysis master in your words) in Petersburg: Alexander Yashinov (Aлександер яшинов).He is NOT the maker.
The silversmith was BK unknown to me.
It is rather common spoon made in the first half of 19th century, and I see no reason for it being more valuable because it was made in Russia.
It is true that Russian silver became lucrative and much sought for, but I think it is overrated unless associated with excellence in craftsmanship and design, the fact one definitively cannot see in ordinary items like spoons meant for everyday use.
Regards
Hello!

Thank you very much for the answer.
I am very thankful for your help.

Best regards

Per
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Hello again!

So an assayer is a person who inspects an object if it contains the right amount of silver? Can an assayer also be a silversmith, who is knowledgeable in the field and is hired as an assayer? Perhaps Alexander Yashinov was a good silversmith?
Best regards

Per
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The assayer (public servant) guarantees the legal silver fineness only, nothing else. He is quite correctly as AG2012 already stated, Aleksandr Ilitj Jaschinkov or Jaschinov (Александръ Ильичъ Яшинковъ or Яшиноиъ ). He assayed in St. Petersburg 1795-1826.

The maker BK (Latin) is Bernhard Johann Kochendörffer, born 9.8.1780 in Fellin (Viljandi in Estonia) and dead 1865 in St. P. He was active in 1806 to about 1849.
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Qrt.S wrote:The assayer (public servant) guarantees the legal silver fineness only, nothing else. He is quite correctly as AG2012 already stated, Aleksandr Ilitj Jaschinkov or Jaschinov (Александръ Ильичъ Яшинковъ or Яшиноиъ ). He assayed in St. Petersburg 1795-1826.

The maker BK (Latin) is Bernhard Johann Kochendörffer, born 9.8.1780 in Fellin (Viljandi in Estonia) and dead 1865 in St. P. He was active in 1806 to about 1849.

Hello!

I am very grateful for all your the help on this forum and that you share your knowledge.

Best regards

Per
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

PW333abc wrote: ...Perhaps Alexander Yashinov was a good silversmith?
Per
The assayer is a trained gold-/silversmith, but when he is appointed to be an assayer he is not allowed to act as a gold-/silversmith during his working period as an official.
PW333abc

Post by PW333abc »

Qrt.S wrote:
PW333abc wrote: ...Perhaps Alexander Yashinov was a good silversmith?
Per
The assayer is a trained gold-/silversmith, but when he is appointed to be an assayer he is not allowed to act as a gold-/silversmith during his working period as an official.
Hello!

Best regards

Per

Return to “Russian Silver”