Re old post Armenian Enamel box ,Mark.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Re old post Armenian Enamel box ,Mark.

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members
Re my old post of my enamel box made in Armenia,I thought I would try again to see if anyone has the book,Armenian Master silverssmiths, by Osep Tokat 2005. I have to purchase it overseas, it does not seem economical to buy it for one mark(not sure if my mark is in the book).

I hope posted images of the mark and the box.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Re: Re old post Armenian Enamel box ,Mark.

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members
It looks like this book was not a big seller,it is strange that no one has a copy of it.

Regards Guido.
JWK

Post by JWK »

The book is available online:

https://fliphtml5.com/ldmzy/jgxl/basic/
JWK

Post by JWK »

^The book is véry easy to find by just óne single Google search on the title of the book? If I found why didn't anyone else?

Upon flipping through the online book I didn't find any enamelled work of any Armenian master though....
Happy to be proven wrong! :-)
Maybe post-revolution?
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi JWK

You have been a great help,I had a look at the link,I could not enlarge the images , Iooked through makers marks ,not very clear ,could not see the mark on my box. I agree nothing that I could see on enamel work on boxes.lots of niello boxes.
Again many thanks,I knew I could buy it online ,did not risk it in case the info I was looking for was not there.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
ԼԺԿ (ЛЖК in Russian) is well known mark of Yerevan maker,not identified as far as I know.Possibly predecessor or makers incorporated to Ереванский Ювелирный Завод (Yerevan jewelry factory) established 1950.
ԼԺԿ cannot be found with later hallmarks.
Many silversmiths migrated from Van region in Kurdistan (the similarity of this cigarette case to Ottoman examples).
Your box,as well as many niello and cloisonne items were made shortly after the revolution or in the thirties.
This cigarette case was obviously made in 1928 (the stamp).
Btw.the book has no reference of Soviet era Armenian silversmiths.And not found in PL,either,supporting the idea of migration from Van region after the revolution.

Regards

gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
Many thanks,you are a star,It seems I may be getting closer,It is always frustrating when we have a mark and cannot identify the maker.

I was surprised not to see it in the book,may be records were lost during the revolution.As you say it is a well know mark,it is a mystery that we do not know who's mark it is.

Again great help.

Guido.

Return to “Russian Silver”